We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

Batam
4 posts
Save Topic
Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

Hii All...

Really wish for a help and advice from all of you here..

Me and boyfriend planned to meet up at Bangkok at End of April 2010 maybe about 26 -30 April 2010. This is the first time we want to meet after having 1 and Half year Long Distance Relationship.

But Now we are not sure can we meet up even we plan it for so long because the internal issue at Bangkok.

He is from Germany and me from Indonesia, we really need advice is it possible to visit Bangkok at that moment??

thank you before...

Chatryn

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

Why do you think its not safe? We are seeing the end of a protest that has been totally peaceful and only in Bangkok. You have protests in Indonesia and Germany too.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Batam
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

yeah for me i don't worry so much but he the one have much worry

is quite hard for us to decide now... i also follow the news all the time and still bring no positive wind for him, he got a bunch of worry of safety...

That's why i ask to the forum.. maybe i can convince him.. i already used with protest but he is not kind like that i think...

Thanks

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

Have a look at this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k343…

I guess next time there is some protest in Germany he should leave the country for safety? There is no democratic country where street protests don't happen. Thailand (and Bangkok) are perfectly safe.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

3/16/2010 7:31:00 PM

The Tourism Authority of Thailand, in association with the Pacific Asia Travel Association, issued the following statement today (16 March):

Both organisations seek to reassure tourists and business travellers visiting Thailand that the protests in Bangkok have not caused major disruption in the city. The city remains a safe destination for both leisure and business travellers. However, although this is a domestic dispute, PATA and the TAT advise all foreign nationals to exercise caution and avoid those areas of the city where the protesters have gathered.

Whilst it is entirely understandable that tourist and business travellers may have some concerns about visiting Thailand at this time it must also be stressed that:

- Both city airports (Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi) are operating as normal

- All other international and domestic airports in Thailand remain fully operational

- Tourist attractions in the city remain open for business

- Shopping malls are open

- MICE venues are open

The TAT continues to provide round-the-clock assistance via its 1672 hotline and representatives from the tourism industry are available to offer assistance to visitors.

PATA CEO Greg Duffell is keen to reassure industry stakeholders that Thailand remains open for business. “There is obviously concern felt in some source markets about safety and security issues. This is entirely understandable. Some governments have issued travel advisories that are likely to prompt would-be visitors to delay their travel plans to Thailand or, indeed, make alternative arrangements.

“It is important for our industry friends and colleagues overseas to appreciate that the protests have not impacted in any major way upon our daily lives in Bangkok. Our message is clear and straightforward. If you have scheduled a holiday or business event in Thailand then there is no reason to change your plans. This country needs your support — and you will always be assured of a fantastic welcome in the ‘land of the smiles’.”

For the latest updates, please visit

www.TATnews.org

Mentioned in this post
Asia Hotel Bangkok
Asia Hotel Bangkok
1,494 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

Draconc seem to be doing a great job updating the situation on daily basis under one of the the forum messages

See: Current security situation in Bangkok

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Malaysia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

Hi.....if it is safe to visit Bangkok on 26 April 2010...what about early April.

I've bought a ticket to Bangkok from 5-8April. Supposedly are 3 of us. But 1 guy cancelled coz he is going to have exam on that dates.

So we left out with 2 of us girls.. travel is not a problem, but with the issue going around and with people saying it will not be advisable to go Bangkok at the moment, we really dunno what is the best decision at the moment.

Anyone have the best solution for this....should we go or should we not?

Thank you, your opinion will be much appreciate.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

I am arriving in bangkok on Friday 2nd and have no problem what so ever about the current political situation.By the sounds of things(Forum posts by people who reside in Bangkok)it will be OK..Bangkok is an amazing city..Dont miss out..

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

TravelOver read this please:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k343…

Maastricht, The...
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

dont worry about it ; you probably not even going to notice any protest going on. Its safe, for everyone ; tourists and locals.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
209 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is It Safe to visit Bangkok 26 April 2010?

We have been in BK for 3 days now visiting Grand Palace, Chinatown etc. Everyting is peaceful. Today (Saturday) the Red Shirts are driving around town, but things are fine. My daughter and I feel totally safe.

Mentioned in this post
The Grand Palace
The Grand Palace
30,183 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Chinatown - Bangkok
Chinatown - Bangkok
6,551 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand