We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to the River Kwai

plymouth, devon, uk
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to the River Kwai

We are looking to book a day trip from Bangkok to do the River Kwai / bridge / museum etc. Can anyone recommend a good company to go with? We don't drive so we can't hire a car and do it ourselves. Also, should we book this in Bangkok or before we leave the UK.

Thank you :)

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to the River Kwai

You could contact any of the guides listed in the FAQs on the top right of this page, or a company like A&F Tours - http://www.aandftour.com/

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to the River Kwai

Kanchanaburi, and the area deserve 3 or 4 days at least.

The 3rd Class train from Thonburi Station is the way to do it.

brisbane
Level Contributor
61 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to the River Kwai

Hi

We just got back from Bangkok. We hired Wandee and we went to the River Kwai, the train through market, floating market, tiger temple, elephant trecking, palm sugar making and a woodcarving factory.

Our guide from Wandee tours was Miss A and she was delightful and would recommend her highly. We went in an airconditioned van with her the driver and my husband and I. A great time.

plymouth, devon, uk
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to the River Kwai

Thanks dragonc - I will have a look at the link and A & F tours

LancasterLad - unfortunately we only have 3 nights in Bangkok before going up to Chiang Mai for 3 nights so a day trip is all we have time for.

garlyn1960...Thank you for the recommendation, I will have a look for their website now. I don't suppose you remember how much it cost to hire her for a day?

Thanks all :)

xx

brisbane
Level Contributor
61 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to the River Kwai

Hi

I think it cost about 7400 baht for the day that included tiger temple entry.

Doncaster UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to the River Kwai

We have done this trip a few times now and have always booked with Tour East once we've got to Bangkok. they've never let us down.

Don't know whether you're travelling on a package but Tour East normally deal with all major operators in UK, Kuoni, Travelbag, etc

plymouth, devon, uk
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to the River Kwai

Thank you all for your help. I have got in touch with Wandee and I think I'm going to go with her and do the tour that garlyn1960 described.

Out of interest garlyn... would you say that the palm sugar and woodcarving factories were worth a visit? Wandee has suggested them but I'm just wondering whether you found them interesting? Is there any pressure to buy anything at either place? I have asked to admit the Tiger Temple as I have read bad things about the conditions the tigers are kept in and the way they are treated.

xx

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,226 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to the River Kwai

In that case, you might ask that they omit the temple.

You might enjoy reading this:

www.anachak.co.uk/articles/tigertemple.htm

Edited: 01 April 2010, 13:22
London
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to the River Kwai

Hi

I am going to be in Bangkok for 3 nigths in May and am keen on the day trip River Kwai / bridge etc.

I've read the posts and the useful info provided. Could someone let me know how to contact this 'Wandee' person / company

When are you going to Bangkok Krissy?

Regards

plymouth, devon, uk
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to the River Kwai

Oops I meant I have asked her to 'omit' the temple not 'admit' it!

Goonerk...we will be in Bangkok from 17th - 20th July, can't wait! Her email is c1133@yahoo.com - she has been very prompt at replying so far :) let her know what you want to see and she will email you with a suggested itineray. The price we have been quoted is also very reasonable.

xx