We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question regarding Khau San Road and accomodation in general

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Question regarding Khau San Road and accomodation in general

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are going to be in Bangkok in August for 3 nights (we're stopping over on our way to Oz.)

He's been there before and I haven't. He wants budget accomodation and I dont!! Probably quite a usual problem for couples!

Anyway, he's quite big on staying near or on the Khau San Road. This again, probably isn't my cup of tea. So what I wanted opinions on is whether this is actually a good area to stay in, or whether the boyfriend is just wanting to be in a 'party' area.

I've looked at a couple of decent hotels, one being the Legacy Suites - the nearest skytrain is Phrom Phong and I wondered if anyone could tell me approx how far this is from the Khau San road area? And whether in general this is an ok place to stay or if it is too far out of the action?

We're willing to pay up to £60 a night for somewhere as we've not got many days and I would personally really like somewhere nice and clean and modern that's close enough to the action of Bangkok. So if anyone has any hotel recommendations it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

xxxxx

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question regarding Khau San Road and accomodation in general

Sukhumvit is quite a way from Khao Sarn Road, but Sukhumvit is also (if you want it to be) a party area. Soi 11 (among others) is full of clubs and bars. Sukhumvit is a major shopping and eating area.

Khao Sarn has the advantage of being not to far from the traditional tourist sites like Grand Palace, Wat Pho etc but there is no skytrain, MRT or big shopping malls there. KSR itself is a tourist zone, although the area around (banglumpoo) is very local Thai. You are likely to spend your time interacting with other westerners. Fine if that is what you want in Thailand.

Most hotels in Thailand are clean and comfortable as standards here are higher then the equivalent hotels in the west.

Edited: 05 April 2010, 05:37
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question regarding Khau San Road and accomodation in general

Near the river in Banglamphu on streets like Phra Athit Road, Soi Rambuttri and Soi Chana Songkhram is very atmospheric, fairly quiet, lots of little restaurants and cafés, but still within walking distance of Khao San Road. Your 60 GBP would give you higher-end accommodation for the area - Navalai River Resort, Siam Riverside, Lamphu Tree Hotel, Sourire@Rattanakosin for example.

If it's your first visit to Bangkok, you'll probably want to see the sights - most of which are on or close to the river, or elsewhere on Rattanakosin Island.

As for "action" it depends on what you mean by that. Lower Sukhumvit is primarily a tourist ghetto. Lots of action but maybe not the kind a young couple come to see. The area between Siam and Chitlom is where all the high-end malls and the modern "Blade Runner" Bangkok is. The Thai areas to party are RCA and Ratchada Sois 4 and 6, as well as Thonglor (Sukhumvit Soi 55 and Ekkamai (Sukhumvit Soi 63) and the sois between, and Soi Ari (Phahonyothin Soi 7). The Banglamphu area (Khao San Road aside) is full of small bars with live music that attract many young more "Boho" Thais. Then there's the area around Ramkhamhaeng University.... Bangkok is a huge, spread-out city, not like a European town where there's only one place "where the action is."

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question regarding Khau San Road and accomodation in general

sure you would both be happy at lamphu tree house

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d940156…

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question regarding Khau San Road and accomodation in general

Khao San area is a great area to be in.. and Navalai as mentioned above would be perfect for you! Google it.. its right on the river and less than 10 min to Khao San Rd for the boy!

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question regarding Khau San Road and accomodation in general

navalai river resort

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d110823…

6. Re: Question regarding Khau San Road and accomodation in general

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 06:21