We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
13 posts
Save Topic
Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

Dear folks,

I m suppose to go on a leisure trip as stated above. However, now I m starting to worry on whether to go or cancel the trip. Saw on news that the tourist spots are being held up by clans and all. Any one had any experience to cancel their flight tickets and hotel bookings in such critical situations? Any success? Although my trip is exactly 2 weeks later, how early do u think I should start making a decision on whether to go or cancel my trip?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

Suggest you read the most recent postings on this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k343…

Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

OK about the situation, feedback from the link shows that TV stations are shutting down. I would like to know anyone tried calling Tiger airways to ask for refund or postpone their flight? Cause I tried calling Tiger, the line had been busy like forever. Anyone know other ways to get a response from the airline? And will hotels in bangkok allow refund?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

Ask your hotel. Those directly affected by the protest at Rajprasong probably will, those not affected probably will not refund.

The reference to TV stations shutting down is singular. In that one TV station operated by the red shirts has been shut down. All other TV stations are running as normal. and there are quite a few.

singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

Hi, I think its too early for you to make a decision now. As it is, state of emergency was only declared yest and from updates, seems that something is brewing. Perhaps you can make a decision during the week you are taking off.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

It would perhaps largely depend upon where you are staying and what you like doing in Bangkok - whether you would be adversely affected. At the moment, the Reds can do anything they want, so there is no 100% certainty about potential effects.

Individual airlines and hotels have their own cancellations policies for certain bookings - you would need to check with each....no universal rule.

Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

Thank u for all your feedbacks. Indeed its abit early to make any decision. My plan B will prob be going to other parts of Thailand from bangkok (that is if the airport is not shut down by then). But if I go for Plan B, we will have to check out the hotel cancellation, wait for next connecting flight and our expenses will go up etc etc... Any suggestions other then phuket? Just toying around for more options. Dont want to wait for last min to panick.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

unless the foreign office says it is unsafe to travel to bangkok and recommend only essential travel your insurance company will not pay out we are due 25th april to 1st may so keep an eye on the foreign office website and if they state it is unsafe call your insurance company straight away

deb

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

Hi;

Bangkok is still a place to go for your pleasure and vacation times.

All the political events have been part of Bangkok city life for years ,

the PAD yellow shirts and the Red shirts trying to work out their

agendas since 2006. Have your plan B ready just in case emergency ,

contact the Embassy for help and carry enough cash

Thailand
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

The only TV station that has been shut down is a cable red-shirt one - nothing to do with mainstream television. The red shirts are 30km away from the airport and are going nowhere near there - no way flights are going to be interrupted.

Better to keep informed and up to date with the thread above as linked.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok from 22 Apr to 27 Apr 10 (To go or cancel?)

Thank you for your comments, we are going to Thailand for our first time, in early May.

We are planning to spend 4 nites in Bangkok, go to Siem Reap, back via Bangkok to Chaing Mai and then fly to Ko Samui and then return to Bangkok to fly home.

We are feeling worried about this unrest and having to go via Bangkok Airport so many times.

What are your thoughts on this? Perhaps we should change our plans a bit? Also you mentioned, it is good to have cash on hand, any ideas, on how much??

Many thanks for your comments, this is our first time travelling this part of our world !!!