We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok airport

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jeris Bay
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok airport

Hi I have a 4 hour gap betweenmy flights from bangkok to phuket.Whats to do at the airport? I will have my 2 young people with me ?any ideas ?

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok airport

The airport is now certainly a world class one with it recently being voted in the worlds top 10 airports. If nothing else you'll be able to fill the kids with food. Have a look at the website as it will give you most of the info you require.

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/

Oscar

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok airport

Being voted into the top ten smells to me. The airport has very few facilities for those on a long wait and is full of very expensive designer shops and not much else. It does not compare in a million years with Changi or HK airports, both of which are much older.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok airport

How young?

We had 5 hours to kill last time and we found a little restaurant / bar / cafe that overlooked the metal detector // screenign que and sat there and people watched, read my book, hubby had his wheels magazines, ate and had a few drinks - they also had TV's on woth soccer games being shown.

We had out Mums with us so we alternated goinjg for walks around the hops etc - its like most airports, not heaps to entertain but you always find a way.

perhaps a deck of cards?

Jeris Bay
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok airport

Im Bitchin to the travel agent in the hope we can shuffle the flights there is noway i want to hang at an airport for 4 hrs after a 10 hr flight with 2 kids I

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,360 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok airport

Hi,

You don't say in your post if you're arriving into Bangkok on an international flight or are a proper transit passenger-- but I assume you are arriving internationally and will have to check-in again in Bangkok for your BKK-HKT flight.

Are you calculating 4-hours based on departure times? If so, that "4 hours" may be shorter than that... On the arrivals side, you can reasonably expect that it will take you about :40 to :60 from the time you deplane the aircraft, to walk to immigration, clear passport control, wait for and reclaim your bags and clear customs control. So right there a maximum of one of the four hours is already accounted for...

I'm assuming you'll have checked bags.. therefore, most airlines have a :30 minimum 'cut-off' time for check-in and baggage deposit.. You'll probably be ahead of that, but for most domestic flights :30 is the bare minimum.. so another half-hour..

In all, just the arrivals and departure check-in process will account for about 1:10 to 1:30 of that 4:00 window.. thus leaving you with about 2:30 of true waiting time..

Travel Safe,

Jeris Bay
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok airport

Well when you put it like that im not so worried now I am arriving from Australia 320pm then getting a flight to phuket 715 pm

I suppose by the time we get outr things and have some food etc time will pass quickly enough

the travel agent said they can get me a flight an hour earlier however its gonna cost me an extra $300.00 ....pass lol

manchester
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok airport

hi kizz27, We are flying to bangkok at xmas from heathrow, we get to bkk about 15.45 pm so we were going to stay at a close airport hotel then come back the day after for the hkt flight, which i still need to book yet lol, im doing this because i was worried in case we get delaeyed for any reason from london, and we are putting this trip up ourselfs without a travel agent so i trying to get things right i hope lol, bye for now,

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,092 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok airport

I just read a list of the wor'ds top 10 airports and Swampy was nowhere to be seen. I agree with Dragon, Swampy is a terrible airport to spend time in.

Jeris Bay
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok airport

Thanks everyone for your imput I think it will be ok anyway me & the kids havent ever been out of Australia , Been all over here still havent seen it all yet so Just being in a different enviroment people watching will be fun i suppose .

We will all be itchin to get to Puiket & begin our holiday so I hope the time there isnt a drag

sounds like it wont be much fun either but will make the best of it ....

cheers

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,324 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok airport

If you are passing through immigration and customs and entering the arrivals hall you can go down to the first floor. On the first floor is a cheap food court that you can eat at. (Located next to the Airport Express Bus sign up desk.) You can take the time to change some money over so you do not have to in Phuket. You can walk a bit to stretch your legs out too! Find a toilet to clean up at that is not the size of a phone booth. Four hours is not that long, you have to check in early for your next flight anyway.

Good luck.