We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bangkok hotels

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
Level Contributor
700 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
bangkok hotels

hi, my partner and i will be going to bangkok for two nights prior our 11 nights in phuket, we want to do a spot of shopping, before we fly home. Which would be the best place to stay in bangkok thats near shops but not to far away from the airport, med budget hotel please.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bangkok hotels

Hi emearld36,

We stayed in the Holiday Inn on Ploenchit Road, Pathumwan. This was a 5 minute walk the one of the biggest malls there. There is a raised walkway above the road that goes straight to the malls. You walk out of the hotel and the stairs to the walkway is just in front of you. The traffic can get very busy in the evenings.

When we came out of one of the malls we seen a late night street market which was nice to walk around felt safe and you weren’t hassled, this was about 11.00pm. Had some good bargains.

I think the airport was about 30min drive away.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again great location and service. I seen some of the other hotels when we was going on trips when we had to pick up other visitors I was very happy with my choice. The hotel is nothing like the Holiday Inn’s over here.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bangkok hotels

You don't say when you will be in Bangkok. Right now, Ploenchit is not the place to stay because of the current protests. I'd recommend riverside, Sukhumvit, or Sathorn. Take a look at the FAQS for alternative shopping locations while the protests are on.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bangkok hotels

If you are near the airport you are not near the shopping in the city!

Maybe the Pathumwan Princess will do. It is on a Skytrain stop and next to MBK. You can use the Skytrain to take you around the city for shopping. You could take 3 or 4 days checking out MBK and never see everything. Lots of places to eat at in the MBK mall.

You do have to consider any demonstrations that may alter your first choice of shopping centers. Getting a hotel in the city allows you to go back and forth to unload stuff you buy or to refresh a bit.

ehotelplus.com/bangkok-hotels/…

Taxi rides in Bangkok are not like the rip-off rides you get in Phuket. They are pretty cheap if you ONLY use the meter. If one area of the city is blocked you can take a taxi to another area. Read up on meter taxis on this forum. It is easy to get a taxi back to the airport even in the middle of the night.

Good luck.

Edited: 16 April 2010, 03:59
manchester
Level Contributor
700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bangkok hotels

hi dragnoc, Its not till jan next year, we were goin to do bangkok first , before phuket , we were going on khosan rd till someone put us off it and said it was abad area. So we said we wont bother with bangkok, but then we changed our mind again(well i did lol) to go just at the very end of our trip, dont know if we are doing wrong or right, but it seemed silly not to see bangkok. Thanks again.

manchester
Level Contributor
700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bangkok hotels

hi guys, I will take a look at the holiday inn and also the pathumwan princess, we can book the bangkok thing a bit later on, the main thing is for me to sort out our onward flights to hkt first lol.. Cheers all.

australia
Level Contributor
314 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bangkok hotels

Hi, we have just returned from Bangkok. We stayed at the Narai on Silom Road. It was great. Room big, breakfast amazing. There are street stalls all up the road. A short walk up the road to Patpong which has a market area and is also interesting for the club activity that goes on there. Not far in a taxi, you could actually walk, there is a night bazaar which is wonderful. There is a huge outdoor eating, food court and there was entertainment on there when we were there. Seemed like a regular thing. Market stalls but set up like a shopping area,had some great stuff, young designers had shops with trendy clothes, a bit of everything really. If you are there at the weekend a visit to the weekend market is a must. A huge market, too much to see in one visit. Great range of products. Great atmosphere. Have a drink at Illy bar, not cheap but great atmosphere right in centre of market. Easy to get to. There is a skytrain station 5 mins away. Very easy to use and cheap.

Just up Silom road the other direction, and across the road is the Lebua hotel. Get your best gear on and go up to the 64th floor to the sky bar. It is amazing. Drinks are dear $15 but you must have one. It is well worth it for the experience. We visited MBK shopping centre and wouldn't bother again, markets are much more interesting and better bargains. We had a great time. Sure you will enjoy it.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bangkok hotels

Right next to the Narai is one of the best hotels in the area bur rarely mention here on TA - Triple Two. Boutique style with modern design, good fusion food and street watchers bar.

australia
Level Contributor
314 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bangkok hotels

Also not too far from river. We walked. Catch ferries easily up to other areas. Watch out for very helpful residents who are very friendly and waiting for tourists to chat to and to direct to places that they get commission from. Just smile and make your own way. Go to Continental ferry stop to catch boats. The local boat is cheap and there is also a tourist boat that is not so expensive either.

australia
Level Contributor
314 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bangkok hotels

........AND when you arrive at airport , go downstairs, outside where taxis are and there is a desk where you pay for the taxi and get a voucher which you give the driver. . Was $8 I think and you do not pay the taxi driver any more!!!!!!! Unless u want to give a tip, as it is quite cheap!

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: bangkok hotels

"there is a desk where you pay for the taxi and get a voucher which you give the driver"

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Catch a meter taxi. Please read the FAQ - Airport Transfer Options. Keep the voucher you are given as it identifies the taxi you are using, only pay what is on the meter plus any relevant tolls.