We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monk Chat

Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Monk Chat

Where can I go for monk chat in the afternoon with monks who can speak relatively good English?

My flight and tours end by like 12pm and 2pm

Personally I'll be in the Banpanthom area

Thanks

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monk Chat

I'm not aware of any organised "monk chat" in Bangkok. Any temple welcomes visitors and any monk who is not otherwise engaged would be happy to talk to you. Some speak English well, some can get by, and some speak only Thai.

The concept of 'monk chat' is artificial.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monk Chat

yeah in chiang mai there are some places

thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monk Chat

There is only one Monk Chat & it is in Chiang Mai. http://www.monkchat.net/

Monk Chat is an official program where Westerns are encouraged to visit with Monks. It is at MCU Buddhist University in Chiang Mai.

It is a fabulous experience and has been in magazines. Sorry... nothing compares to it in Bangkok. Bangkok does not have "Monk Chat."

It is designed to give Monks the experience of chatting with real Westerners. They only want English speakers. You can not speak Thai with them. It's a fabulous experience! Many tourists and ex-pats make it a regular part of their weekly agenda while visiting Chiang Mai. Every Monday, Wednesday, Friday

From 5.00 p.m. - 7.00 p.m.

The Monks come into a building after you are seated at a table. They come to you. They sit opposite you. They love chatting English with Westerners. They are friendly. They all speak English. That's one reason they go to this university.

And they love to have their picture taken with you too! (Remain sitting at the table, for pictures. They will ask a friend to take your picture with them.)

You can talk about anything... music, culture, school, plans for the future, weather, your values, ... what ever.

*Around the back is a fabulous Vegetarian Restaurant called the Pun Pun. *If you go order Papaya Salad (som dum) and Pineapple Ginger Milkshake. *This is the best you'll ever find!

Regards!

Edited: 25 April 2010, 04:31
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monk Chat

Agreed that nothing compares to it in Bangkok, as the city doesn't have that kind of concept. Casual conversation in any temple in the country is quite normal and possible.

Shropshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monk Chat

Not sure that's the only one as found this, although I've yet to have a reply from anyone regarding making an appointment (although guess this is probably as I'm working a little far in advance!)

…watsrisuphan.org/category/monk-chat-program/

Hoping to go to this as it offers meditation, too.

:-)

6. Re: Monk Chat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2010, 04:15