We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All One Needs to Know

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
All One Needs to Know

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW

Here is all the information that is needed to make the decision whether you should visit Bangkok. For the most part, it is the same information that we local people have.

If, after checking these links, you can't decide, I would say it would be a "no go". If you can't make the decision now, what will you do when you are here?

This is the TAT's map of the affected areas: thailandtourismupdate.com/crisis-version/map…

It also has links to their latest "official" statements on the matter.

Here is a map with the locations of many of Bangkok's hotels: http://www.chiangdao.com/bangkokmap/

You can scroll down on the right to find where you are staying. If your hotel isn't listed, your hotel's website should have a map. Once again, if you can't figure locations between these two maps, Bangkok might not be a good destination at this time.

Here is the news:

www.thailandqa.com/forum/forumdisplay.php…

thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-News-clippings-f…

Besides the news, you can read comments from a range of perspectives.

Once last time. If, after checking out all this info, you still can't decide, don't bother asking. The answer is don't come.

London - Bkk - PP
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: All One Needs to Know

When Thai nationals start leaving town, multi-nationals start sending their foreign employees to the airport, airlines stop selling flights to BKK and a whole host of other scenarios, that is when i would probably suggest not coming.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: All One Needs to Know

We are also delaying our trip until next year.

Not because we feel we are at any iminent risk of harm by visiting(wouldn't stay in Bangkok and avoid any other trouble spots) but simply when our insurance company says if you go with the current warning in place all coverage would be void, that would include our health, trip interuption etc. We aren't going to spend a holiday worrying about not being able to manage an emergency if one of us should become ill or need to come home early.

However I respect dragon's opinion, they are living the situation day to day. At first they were saying just avoid certain areas and as it escalated they changed it to avoid Brangkok all together. They updates they provide have been invaluable.

While at present things are relatively (not full scale rioting or civil war) calm for what we would perceive. But you can't know the underlying currents including the people's frustration at having this constantly on their doors, their businesses interupted and the constant threat that something bigger could be coming. When the gov't does finally decide to crack down on this it has the potential to be a real "powder keg" and tourist or not that is a very dangerous situation to be in. Just because they aren't "targeting" tourists doesn't mean you can't be hurt or killed in the crossfire.

I would much rather not take the risks and be sure I can go to Thailand in the future at a time when this is not an issue and enjoy the entire country and its people.

Edited: 03 May 2010, 10:28
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: All One Needs to Know

Lots of businesses have already relocated into the outer suburbs and beyond... and not just those forced to close by the protests.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: All One Needs to Know

I wonder how the latest news of the offer by the government is being taken in Bangkok? The press here doesn't seem to know what to make of it.

Seems to me after all this it would be strange for it all to just go away on his word, a lack of trust in him has been what much of this is about, is it not?

15. Re: All One Needs to Know

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 14:42
mysmp
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: All One Needs to Know

hi does anyone know if patpong has re-opened?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,345 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: All One Needs to Know

Has Patpong reopened? The issue of the moment!!! Get real, please or else you will have this thread being closed too!

The major issue that Boris and Max-expat are ignoring is the potential for this situation to escalate, quickly and go nationwide - perhaps even while you are in the air (if you choose to go). You cannot compare this situation with Songkran, or with Iraq or the streets of London for goodness sake. It is individual to Thailand, now politically, and, dare I say it, imminently with the monarchy. To say the Kingdom is at a crossroads, I don't think is an exaggeration, with forces and tensions that we farangs do not understand.

If someone wants to take the risk and go to Thailand in the current climate, go ahead and do so but please don't offer the kind of complacent justification that some have. Governments have a responsibility for the safety of all of their citizens. You only have responsibility for your own!

Edited: 04 May 2010, 15:38
mysmp
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: All One Needs to Know

Arandora, i am well updated with the political situation in thailand (employed at top 25 FTSE 100 financial institution with private security consultants on the ground advising of the political situation on an hourly basis). the situation is taking a turn in the right direction and i have made my choice and am planning a trip to bkk at the end of may (leisure not business) and though i can ask our security advisers for insight into the situation around my hotel and our clients' offices in silom, it would be rather unprofessional to ask about the patpong market/bars- hence my post in this thread- it is after all titled "all one needs to know"- and i want/need to know if patpong is up and running?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: All One Needs to Know

If you were so well informed you'd already know that the area is an armed military camp and will remain that way until some positive moves are made on both sides. So far its all talk. Patpong and its contents are not TA or family friendly - check the rules..

mysmp
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: All One Needs to Know

thanks for the update dragonc. I know there is a large military presence in the silom area, that being said, I have been told that many companies are operating business as usual during business hours and the military is there only to keep the reds at bay, staff/employees are able to enter and leave as and when they please- i know this because i spoke to one of our clients in bkk today.

As for patpong and its contents, i was not aware that this violated any TA ethics/ moral beliefs-sincere apologies.