We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transfer Time

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Transfer Time

We are working on an itinerary this fall which involves flying from Hanoi to Bangkok and then on the Yangoon. There is only one flight per day from Hanoi to Bangkok as best I can tell which arrives at 10:50am. Then there is only one flight per day from Bangkok to Yangoon which departs about an hour and 40 minutes later with another airline. I'm assuming since both flights are international that they will be at the same airport in Bangkok. Is this sufficient time to clear customs and immigration? Thank you.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,577 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transfer Time

Hi,

There are technically two functioning airports serving the Bangkok area.. The newer Suvarnabhumi and the older Don Mueang.

At the present time, only two airlines currently use the older Don Mueang airport.. everyone else uses the newer Suvarnabhumi.

From what you write it appears that you'll arrive at 10:50 then have your next flight depart at 12:30-- one hour and fourty minutes apart..

What I'd like to know is will both flights be on ONE single ticket (i.e HAN-BKK-RGN) or will you be on TWO SEPERATLY issued tickets (i.e. HAN-BKK and BKK-RNG).

If you're on ONE ticket, then your bags should be checked thru to RGN and you'd only transit in BKK.. international-to-international passengers only undergo a security re screening between flights and no customs or immigration checks..

If you are on TWO separate tickets *and* have checked bags, then this may be a problem...

It takes about :40 to :60 to deplane, walk to passport control, clear passport control, reclaim your checked bags and clear customs control.. This estimate does assume that you do not need to formally apply for an visa on arrival and that you are not selected for a secondary intensive inspection at either control point.

It takes about :10 to get from the arrivals level (2nd floor) to the departures level (4th) floor and find your check-in row and position number..

Lastly, most all airlines have minimum check-in cut off times and checked baggage deposit.. This is customarily between :45 and :60 before departure- but varies on the specific airline.

So, in total, you'll need at least :40 for the arrivals procedures, another :10 to get from the 2nd to 4th floors and another :45 to meet the check-in cut-off time.. That's a grand total of :95 or a little over 1.5 hours..

With only 1:40, it's my opinion, that it's *is* doable, but doesn't leave you a whole lot of room for delays or otherwise.. If your HAN-BKK flight is late by more than say :20 or so, you're probably going to be stuck in BKK with a blown connection.

Travel Safe,

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transfer Time

Thank you for your expedient reply. It will be two tickets with different airlines, however, we haven't checked bags for years, even on international flights, so I don't know if that makes a difference. We are from the US so do not need a VISA for entry into Thailand. We will be flying Viet Nam Air to Bangkok, due to price. They are far too expensive to fly from Hanoi to Yangoon, even though they have a flight. Bangkok Air is one of the few that fly at a reasonable cost to Yangoon. if you have any tips we would love to hear them. Thank you again.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,577 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transfer Time

Hi,

OK.. So, two separate tickets but WITHOUT checked bags... Good..

So, you'd probably be OK.. You could expect to shave about :15 (not waiting for your checked bags to appear at reclaim) off the arrivals time frame..

TIP: You'd be wise to use Bangkok Air's OLCI (online check-in) function..

Bangkok Air permits this for e-ticket holders starting at T-24 up to T-2 hours.. So, do it before you leave your hotel in HAN that morning.. You can print your boarding passes as well..

Therefore, upon arrival in Bangkok, you'd only need to exit the customs hall, go upstairs to the departures (4th) level and head right to the departures Immigration checkpoint since you'd have your BKK-RGN boarding pass at that point from using their OLCI option.

If you need to do any FOREX activity, you'll have multiple places to do this-- inside the arrivals customs hall, outside in the general airport area, as well as post-immigration on the departures side.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 23 May 2010, 00:26
4. Re: Airport Transfer Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2010, 07:18