We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

Bangkok is the first stop in our trip to Thailand, and I'd love to kick everything off with an amazingly delicious, fairly inexpensive, locals-oriented thai food restaurant in Bangkok.

We're staying at the Millenium Hilton, but we'd be willing to take a taxi somewhere else in the city.

Thank you! :-)

Edited: 02 June 2010, 01:15
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,859 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

Head just north of your hotel, to Yok Yor Seafood.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
506 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

Right beside the Millenium Hilton (roadside, not riverside) on the right as you leave is a definitely locals orientated restaurant with barbecue pits on each table. Only discovered it late on our last night's stay at the Millenium Hilton after already eating but had a beer there, would happily give it a go next visit. Full of big groups of locals and not aimed at the tourists.

For a bit more upmarket with fantastic food try Taling Pling, great food in nice air-con comfort off Silom Road, about 15 mins by taxi from Millenium Hilton.

…nytimes.com/travel/…restaurant-detail.html

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
506 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

Somewhere else we enjoyed:

wheretoeat-bangkok.com/Assets/…baan_klang.pdf

About 30 minutes by taxi, ask the concierge to book a table on the outside terrace for you.

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

Thank you so much everyone. We're staying 4 nights so I'll have to maybe try all of them! :-)

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

Head straight to the food court at Suan Lum Night Bazaar... live music, beer garden.. a million choices of yummy food and you can finish it off with some window shopping in the markets afterwards if you still have the energy!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
583 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

we are staying near kohsan rd at the lamphu tree house are we far from there ,thats the night market i mean

Edited: 03 June 2010, 17:23
Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

Reet, we're definitely going to that Night Bazaar! On Tuesday night I think, since it's near Lumpini Park and we want to go to a Muay Thai fight there that night. Haven't gotten it all worked out yet though (don't know yet how/when to get tickets or how late the fights go at night to see if we could still make it to the market or if it will be to late).... but it is on the list! :-)

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

Its a bit of a distance from Khao San (we stay there all the time too) but get a tuktuk and negotiate.. from memory we paid about 200 baht for the trip and got our tuktuk drivers phone number.. we called him when we finished and he came to pick us up! Talk to different tuktuk drivers and find one that you like... once they realise that you will use them for a few trips they are lots of fun and just make sure they know from the start that you are not interested in any side trips to 'jewellers' etc!

The Night markets are great fun.... there is the most awesome deepfried chicken stall about halfway down the stalls... doesnt have a name but they do golden crispy chicken pieces... its already deep fried but when you order it they chop it up into smaller pieces then deep fry it again. Yummy....

Try not to buy at the markets though... they are not very happy at bartering with you and everything is substantially more expensive than elsewhere!

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

Really?? I didn't know that. For some reason I assumed the markest would be cheaper. I guess I have to find stores during the day then, huh? :-P

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,859 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amazing Local Place to Eat our First Night?

If we are talking Suan Lum night market, it's a bit of a tourist attraction, whether that "tourist" is foreign, or Thai. It does, however, offer some items, from small manufacturers, that are not readily available elsewhere.

An air conditioned taxi should get you from KSR to Lumpini, well under 200 baht. Just don't negotiate fares. Use the meter or flag another.