We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

want 1 amazing night/day in Bangkok....help please

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
281 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
want 1 amazing night/day in Bangkok....help please

Our last night of a 2 week Thailand trip will be spent in Bangkok. We planned ages ago to spend longer in Bangkok but changed our plans due to the protests, now that it looks to be getting back to normal we have decided we cannot go to Thailand and not spend at least a short time in Bangkok. We fly up from Phuket early afternoon and fly back home to the UK the following evening at 9pm. So we have 1 night to stay.

I have been looking at one to two amazing things to do and I am trying to find the best possible hotel we can find.

My thoughts so far are, going to the grand palace and staying in a Hilton but any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: want 1 amazing night/day in Bangkok....help please

The Grand Palace is a must see visit, also Wat Pho (reclining Buddha) is rigt behind, and Wat Aru (temple of the Dawn) just across the river.

The MIllenium is a good choice with great river views.

Check the FAQS on the top right too.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 14:28
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: want 1 amazing night/day in Bangkok....help please

There are so many good hotel choises...it's all about location and therefore I'd like to to suggest you some itenerary things at first:

- as you arrive in BKK early afternoon, that could give you a chance for short shopping before dinner and leisure

-> good choise is Pathumwan Princess in connection to MBK. They also have early evening happy hour free wine, drinks, snacks at the Club before you head forward. Great shopping.

-> another good htl choise could be Lebuan Tower as you could see the sunset from the bar having early coctail before dinner. State Tower (=same buildning) have some options for dinner inside and outside high up but there are some nice choises of thai food also close by in Silom area.

Alternative dinner first and drinks later.

-> any riverside hotel and enjoy the pool first and a dinner cruise thereafter

For evening I suggest a walk along Silom, Patpong possibly but I assume you can resist the shopping here easily as you'll notice how overpriced it is.

Have a drink at the Telegraaf terrace on Patpong 3 and see the boys going... Golf shops on next soi.

Head to Suan Lum nightmarket by taxi (very close) and do yr last shopping and enjoy live music on stage at the food court or a dinner at smaller restaurants behind the market area. There is a lot of talk about Suan Lum closing down - pls check on other forums what's todays situation!

Alternative dinner choises are along Soi Lang Suan, just a couple of blocks away. Brown sugar, my old favourite jazz bar, is also in that area on Soi Sarasin next to Lumpini Park.

Next morning do the sights Grand Palace and Wat Po next to it early in the morning when it's not so hot. If you are staying at the river located hotel or at Lebua, you can take a river boat back.

If you want more sights, ask for late check out at yr hotel and end you Grand Palace tour to River City at Royal Orchid Sheraton hotel (also incl suggested hotels) and River City as there a lovely Rice Barge tours starting at 14 hrs (pls re-check) taking you along the channels on the other side (Thonburi) of Chao Phya. You'll see the klongs where people still live today by a longtail boat and thereafter you'll embark an old ricebarge that will be towed back to River City arriving around 17(-18, pls re-check!!) hrs by sunset. Fruits and drinks will be served onboard the old rice barge.

If you are staying close to the river, there is a highway connection to airport direction, that will save time for your departure transfer. Pathumwan Princess will make this itenerary too tight with this afternoon program.

Remember also that you need to be at the airport 3 hrs before the scheduled departure time!!

Enjoy, hope this helps!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
281 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: want 1 amazing night/day in Bangkok....help please

Yes yes thank you that is very helpful!

4. Re: want 1 amazing night/day in Bangkok....help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 06:18