We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plug adaptors

Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Plug adaptors

Hi, I'll be arriving to Thailand soon and just wondering what type of plug adaptor I should get? I cant seem to see one's specifically in shops at home for Asia, mostly just AUS & USA.

Also do Cambodia & Vietnam use the same type plugs as Thailand?

Mentioned in this post
Asia Hotel Bangkok
Asia Hotel Bangkok
1,510 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,461 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plug adaptors

Hi

The type that works in europe, ie 2 pin round, work in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, it some places in both Cambodia and Vietnam you will also find 3 pin square sockets, the same as you find in the UK, but these tend to be in the better hotels and they are universal sockets so they will accept the 2 pins as well in any case.

These adaptors are very easy to find in Thai markets that cater for tourists and are cheaper than buying them here.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,668 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plug adaptors

Also the North American style two flat pins works in Thai electrical sockets.

Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plug adaptors

Thanks guys, that saves me a bit of hassle so i dont have to go looking for a new one

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,160 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plug adaptors

This is a great reference for travellers..

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

Vermont
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Plug adaptors

I read the link posted above, and just want to double check... is any type of converter needed for north american two flat pin systems to plug in since there is a slight difference in voltage and current? Just don't want to break any electronics or damage the outlets.

Thanks!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plug adaptors

There is actually an extreme difference in voltage, between North American and Thailand. Thailand is almost double the voltage. You will either need to bring only "universal" electronics. or a voltage transformer.

Check you equipment. Much of the newer electronics is "universal" - it switches automatically. Thailand is 220 volts AC (220 VAC) 50 hertz/cycle (50 Htz). If your stuff lists these standards, you're OK.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Plug adaptors

Thanks So much Curt!

8. Re: Plug adaptors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 06:16