We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good tailor for suits and women's clothes

millicent
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
good tailor for suits and women's clothes

I would like to know of a reputable tailor to make both men's suits and women's clothing please. My first trip to Bangkok. Do they have good choice of fabric or do I need to buy fabric elsewhere first?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good tailor for suits and women's clothes

got to know Pinky, my tailor about 20 years ago when I was living in Bangkok, tried several tailors but always returned to Pinkys.

After my time in Bangkok I have returned every year and thereafter also introduced his services to my husband and even some other great friends (also big airline bosses from Europe) and Bangkok expats - they all are still happy after several years of tailoring.

Some time ago I noted that Pinky had been noted in one of the new city guides - Bangkok City Scoops -which is the independet guide to hot spots, hidden finds and real experiences. He told that the writer also knows him during several years and that he never knew that he was a journalist.

Pinky has been very honest and knows exactky what material suits to what garment, I trust on him totally.

Pinky has all kind of materials, from fine italian mixtures and cashmirs to basic and cheaper thais and of course silks and sil mixtures. You can also bring your own material if needed.

No-one will visit his store by accident, no advertising or cheap here! Pinky's shop is well hidden behind the old Mahatum Plaza about 3 min walk from Ploenchit BTS station and you can find his store if you know what you are looking for.

Pinky Tailor,

BTS Skytrain Ploenchit Station (Exit no 2 or 6)

Adress 888/40 Mahatun Plaza Arcade Ploenchit Road, tel 66 (0) 2252-9680, 2253-5055, 2253-6328

Take the direct Skytrain Sukhumvit Lane to Ploencit Station and have a 3 min walk: his shop is well hidden in the very end of the soi, you can just and just see his sign when standing on Ploenchit Road below the BTS station.

Edited: 19 June 2010, 10:48
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,616 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good tailor for suits and women's clothes

Hi,

Another suggestion would be Raja's on Soi 4.. He's quite popular with the American ex-patriot community in town and he also does quite a bit of business with several of the larger western diplomatic posts as well..

To be fair, he's not the cheapest in town, and that there are several other very well known and quite reputable tailors. I've used Raja's for more than five years now and have had nothing but excellent experiences and still have most of the garments he made for me back when I first arrived in town.

For location reference, he is located almost directly across the street from the Nana Hotel on Sukhumvit, soi 4. You can get to his shop from the BTS Nana station.

I buy my suits (always three piece) from him as well as my dress shirts. Do be sure that you have an idea of what you want from your finished goods, as he can make it virtually any way you like it...

A few suggestions in choosing *any* tailor, I suggest you ask to see a sample garment- suit, shirt or both-- that is ready for customer pick-up to see first-hand what the fit and finish looks like. Also remember that what is fashionable here in Thailand, may not be back in your home country-- therefore, I suggest (if possible) bringing a garment for them to copy or have several high resolution photos of what you'd like the clothes to look like.. In the end, with 'custom' you can have it almost any way you like-- so be specific.. Most tailors here will have good selection and range of fabrics-- both light(er) weight materials and the more traditional full-weight fabrics..

Lastly, good quality does take time.. You should expect and allow for at least two separate shop visits for follow-up and finishing fittings.. I've found that for the most part 12-hour THB999 suits looks and wears like 12-hr THB999 suit..

Travel Safe,

Edited: 19 June 2010, 10:59
millicent
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good tailor for suits and women's clothes

Thanks for your comments.Will check Raj out on our trip.

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good tailor for suits and women's clothes

Mekans, how long does it usually take Pinky to finish a suit, and how many fittings does he usually require?

We're unfortunately not going to be in Bangkok all that long (3 days!), but I'd love to buy my husband a new suit. My biggest worry is that he'll get shotty craftsmanship somewhere for asking them to rush, or ask them to ship him something and not be happy with it and have no way of getting it further tailored....

5. Re: good tailor for suits and women's clothes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2010, 06:15