We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dangerous to go Bangkok now? (for pregnant women)

Hong Kong
12 posts
Save Topic
Dangerous to go Bangkok now? (for pregnant women)

I am pregnant (will be 5 months when I plan to land in Thai) and wanna go to Bangkok with friends before delivery.

But they worry the situation isn't stable yet ane would be too dangerous for me......

What do you think?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,408 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dangerous to go Bangkok now? (for pregnant women)

Hi

All the problems have calmed down and it is still no more dangerous for a pregnant woman than for anyone else (similarly when the troubles where on going)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dangerous to go Bangkok now? (for pregnant women)

That is a hard question to answer. At this time Bangkok is stable... there is no political turmoil in (only peaceful) protests in Bangkok but on one can predict the future.

There is an up-date on Bangkok protests posted by Dragon. I don't know when you are traveling? But just to let you know... Political unrest arises every year from Apr to May. (Usually November and early December too?)

*Perhaps you should ask your doctor about traveling while pregnant. It isn't about 5 months or 8 months. I assume this is your 1st baby. There are several precautions you need to take. Being pregnant has a few more concerns. *No drinking with your friends. Smoking may or may not be an issue? Shots for Hep A & B (combined) if you haven't already. The B is an add-on combined so think of it as free whether you need it or not.

IMPORTNT! *Dengue fever (carried from people to mosquito and mosquito to people.) This is a deadly experience and not everyone is lucky. It used to be limited to the out skirt area near the borders and more isolated areas. No more! Very serious and on the rise in every area (including Bangkok) - you will need to buy “OFF Family” bug spray from any 7/11 in Thailand. This has "DEET" in it and your skin will absorb it. It isn't buying it that may be a concern. *It is wearing it as your skin absorbs it.

Ask your doctor if this is OK for the baby. And don't even think about not using a spray with deet! You do not want a fever of 105 with dreadful side effects! Or worse have something happen to the baby.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,533 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dangerous to go Bangkok now? (for pregnant women)

HotToffee,

"... (only peaceful) protests" - I don't think so. Where do you get this information from please?

"Political unrest arises every year from Apr to May. (Usually November and early December too?) " - also untrue or can you substantiate this also please?

Pity the above is not as helpful as the rest of your reply.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dangerous to go Bangkok now? (for pregnant women)

There are no protests taking place in Bangkok or anywhere else. There have been none since late in May. Bangkok currently is probably safer than it has ever been.

Hong Kong
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dangerous to go Bangkok now? (for pregnant women)

Thank you for all replies, actually I am planning to go in 1st Aug.

Thanks again!

6. Re: Dangerous to go Bangkok now? (for pregnant women)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 07:16