We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 questions...hope some one can help.

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
2 questions...hope some one can help.

Hi TAs, we have just returned from a fantastic 2 day stop over in Bangkok after a trip to Vietnam. We have been to Bangkok before but have never encountered the "sales" in all the main shopping centers. They were fantastic and we bought up big but wanted to know if this is common for July or are the "sales" a direct result of the protests and subsequent drop in tourism shortly after? We have been in Bangkok before around this time but haven't seen this before. Can any one enlighten me? One more question can any one recommend a place in Thailand to holiday. We have been to Phuket but would like a quiet island perhaps with villas or more exclusive resorts. We have older teenage kids who may not come with us so we aren't interested in family resorts with lots of younger kids. Any ideas for places ? ( don't need to attend full moon parties etc !)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 questions...hope some one can help.

Can't help to answer your questions.. but do you know when the sales finish? I'm heading over after next week! ..Can I ask , where were the sales? MBK? Siam Discovery?

Thank-you!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 questions...hope some one can help.

I believe the signs along the BTS skywalk say through August.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 questions...hope some one can help.

Curtis 1591,do you know if this is normal for this time of year?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 questions...hope some one can help.

I'm the type that shops when I need something, so I really don't pay that close of attention. But, there are annual "Grand Sales" that seem to come around this time, I believe.

Personally, I have never noticed anything the discounted during these events. But, then again, most of my shopping is "local", so I really have little comparison.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 questions...hope some one can help.

Thanks for that info, we were in Bangkok 2 years ago at exactly the same time and there weren't any sales at the Paragon center like there were this time. In fact we didn't purchase anything this time around that wasn't reduced. I appreciate you not being a crazy shopper like me and my family so thanks for your input. Do you have any thoughts on an island getaway that's not teeming with full moon party goers, and little toddlers( no offense to anyone but I've been there and now I've moved on) ? Thanks in advance.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 questions...hope some one can help.

I've read about this on a couple of sites - it does seem to be an annual sale and is called The Amazing Thailand Grand Sale

Heres some info on the "TAT" site

tatnews.org/events/events/2010/june/4646.asp

We're won't be there till Sept - darn!!!!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
99 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 questions...hope some one can help.

I had read that these sales were solely because of the protests and that it allowed the shop owners to try and recoup some money from all the business they lost due to the protests. It is also to help encourage locals back to the area and to make things better, because lets face it Thai's and farangs love to shop. It has also been done to try and lure tourists back to Thailand, as well as the extension of the 60 day visas up until 31/3/11. It is my understanding that these are due to finish in August and this time the sales seems to be extra big sales with up to 80% off most items. Although it stops in August I would not be surprised if it is done again particularly as it seems to have been a big success.

As for an island recommendation I would say go to Koh Chang.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 questions...hope some one can help.

So many islands of many kind, here's some listings and more details:

tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

or

http://www.travelfish.org/islands.php

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 questions...hope some one can help.

The current sales are a direct result of the problems earlier. Sales are common and I'm not sure there are fixed times during the year. Central (for example) will throw a sale at short notice when they feel the time is right.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 questions...hope some one can help.

Thanks for everyone's input, as we thought , the sales are a direct result of earlier issues.Thanks ThaiDaffy for your Koh Chang suggestion I have had a look and that may be the perfect suggestion. I can only find 1 private villa listed is anyone familiar with any others? MEKANS, I will trawl through the website you posted. As my own kids have grown up I'm far more interested in a little less populated places. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!