We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Thailand

Minnesota, USA
2 posts
Save Topic
What to wear in Thailand

My husbands and I are traveling to Thailand the end of January. We will be visiting Bangkok, Chaing Mai and Phuket. We also are going on a liveaboard boat to scuba dive for 10 days. My question is: What to bring to wear. I was planning on bringing linen pants and blouses with Teva sandals for sightseeing during the day (Grand Palace, temples, etc.) Can I wear thin strap tops and sundress type clothing in the evening?

Thank you

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,640 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in Thailand

Lucky lady two husbands! Your choices are okay. Perhaps keep a long sleeve shirt available when you are on the boat in case it gets too cool at night. Perhaps some walking shorts and tennis shoes and a shirt would not be out of place either!

Just don't wander around town all day in a bikini like some tourists do. Okay for me- but so much skin may offend some of the Thai's.

Men can probably get by with anything, T shirts, short sleeve shirts, shorts, long pants, etc. Same as the ladies though don't wander around town all day in some skimpy speedos.

You can get a good sunburn pretty fast in Thailand, especially on the water.

AL

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in Thailand

It will be very hot in Jan. so wear very light clothes.

You will need long pants when you visit temples and the Grand Palace provides these if you haven't got any.

Clothes in Thailand are very cheap and mostly good quality

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in Thailand

Grand Palace for you will require respectful dress ie covered top and slacks or longish skirt.

For your husbands? (How many you have) Grand Palace covered top and long trousers and you should be ok.

Evenings is basically as you wish but too much top does offend in some places. Thinstrap tops is OK and sundresses are OK in the evenings with sandals.

Enjoy your trip