We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ladyboys

London, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ladyboys

Earlier I was watching a documentary about "tourist" Thailand and they showed the ladyboys and warned about these people who rob tourists in order to pay for their sex exchange ops.

Also, police had their hands full with ladies who kept guys company in a pub/bar and afterwards wanted money for their time spent with them. The poor guys thought the girls were just being friendly and bought them drinks, but when the were leaving without paying them there was trouble!!

Do I, as a solo female have to worry about these things? Do I rather keep myself to myself everywhere - bars, streets, anywhere??

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,661 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ladyboys

Hi,

"Do I, as a solo female have to worry about these things? Do I rather keep myself to myself everywhere - bars, streets, anywhere??"

Hardly.. It's my opinion that for the most part this element of the city won't impact you *unless* you openly express an interest in, seek out or other engage them in conversation... The notion that they rob people could be true, but isn't limited to just ladyboys.. it happens from time to time with other segments of the population.

I think that this risk can be significantly reduced by exercising common sense about where you are, what you are carrying with you, what you are doing and who you are doing it with.. Pretty much the same thing you'd do if at home..

That said, do go out and have fun and socialize.. but do so with common sense and be aware of your surroundings and people..

The reality is that you are more likely to fall 'victim' to unscrupulous merchant overcharges and other related issues than to be a victim of a flat out robbery.

Travel Safe,

London, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ladyboys

Thank you for your reply GOPBI.

I am a friendly person and smile with everyone and when someone starts a conversation with me I obviously chat back.

So when I am there I would not like to offend my hosts/hostesses (the local people) by keeping my nose in the air. I swear no-one is going to take me for a ride (scam me), I have been doing my homework on TA! But I would like to mix with the locals, just being friendly nothing else. So who is genuine. I've read about the well-dressed professional scammers ,but how do I know who to trust?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,661 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ladyboys

Hi,

The reality is that the majority of people here aren't out to get you and are genuine.. Sadly as is common.. while the TV shows aren't overtly lying about their results, do remember that this represents only one slice of the population and isn't reflective of the overwhelming majority.. Unfortunately, nice common-folk don't make good TV..

Just as it is at your home.. there's nothing wrong with interacting with, getting social with the locals.. in my opinion, that's a big part of why you travel.. and you should do so..

But.. just as you would do "at home".. you need to be aware of your surroundings, who you are with and such forth.. If you don't like where something is going, stop and get out..

If it gives you concern from the get go, then don't.. The same general rules apply here as they would at home..

As to the well dressed scammers.. Just be a wise and cautious consumer.. Does their offer "match" with your own research? Does the deal sound too good to be true? Is this a high pressure sale?.. Are you being given a "special deal"?... Is a brand new "friend" all of a sudden asking about your money? All red flags.. This doesn't mean it's an automatic scam, but should put you into cautious mode...

Travel Safe,

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ladyboys

"how do I know who to trust?"

How does ANYONE know? Personally I am always VERY wary of ANYONE from ANYWHERE that approaches me to strike a conversation about anything.

Not that I always brush them, but when I find myself in a conversation I didn't start, my BS meter is at full volume.

PS. Unless you seek out the company of bar-girls, they won't bother you at all.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ladyboys

I'm pretty sure i saw this, err "documentary", if i'm not mistaken it was part of a series set in either Phuket or Pattaya, and if memory serves me correctly on a somewhat sensationalist tv channel here in the uk! I have visited Bangkok on a couple of occasions, and also visited Krabi last year, and what was portrayed was somewhere that i didn't recognise, at least not in limited experience of Thailand. Sad to say, in the programme i did see lots of drunken and badly behaved Europeans-they weren't all Brits-being an embarrassment to all and sundry.

I would suggest that unless you actively seek out the type of environment shown in this series you will have a throrougly pleasant and enjoyable time.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ladyboys

The only place "ladyboys" present any particular problem is in Pattaya where a number of low-lifes haunt the beach area at night, and there are regular thefts/assaults by groups of them. Most ladyboys are like everyone else - have a job and trying to make ends meet.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,459 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ladyboys

There have been reports of gangs of ladyboys on Sukhumvit in Bangkok around sois 19-21. They accost male travellers and while their attention is distracted, relieve them of their wallets or cell phones.

I would say, don't engage ANYONE in conversation who approaches you on the street and offers unsolicited informat. That includes Thais and westerners. This is the first step in a scam. Just ignore them and walk on by.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ladyboys

Good advice Bill, I didn't know they were operating in Sukhumvit.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ladyboys

I presume you're talking about the "Big Trouble In Thailand" series?? This is the reason why I hated that show....it give's people that have never been to Thailand a totally negative view of what Thailand is all about. My advice would be to take the same precautions you would when talking to anyone in a bar at home....come to Thailand with an open mind and forget any stereotypical views you have been given by tv shows such as this one.

Regards

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ladyboys

Was this programme by any chance on the TV channel Bravo? Called: Big Trouble in Thailand? i saw an episode of that the other day. A load of drunk tourists getting into all sorts of trouble.

Never seen that sort of thing much myself on any visit to Thailand, but I do tend to avoid Pattaya and Patong.

Edited: 08 October 2010, 11:36