We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Horrible thought!!!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
A Horrible thought!!!

Hi fellow tourists

All of a sudden something came to mind....

Won't a bartender/barman slip something into my drink if they see me sitting on my own, won't that put ideas in their heads?? And then when I leave the bar/restaurant have someone follow me to rob or do whatever they have in mind?

I do not watch soaps so I am not trying to be dramatic!!

I'm just a bit scared I guess as I have never travelled on my own.

Please do not say stay at home rather, because I would like to travel the world!!

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Horrible thought!!!

You are watching too much tele love. :)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,466 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Horrible thought!!!

Hi,

You ask "... Won't a bartender/barman slip something into my drink if they see me sitting on my own, won't that put ideas in their heads?? And then when I leave the bar/restaurant have someone follow me to rob or do whatever they have in mind?"

Got to be honest.. That's a pretty long and involved scheme.. but.. if you were to ask "is it possible" for things like this to happen... yes it is... The other thing to remember is, just like it is with taxi drivers.. the fact is that the vast, vast majority are honest hardworking folks and not looking to rip you off... Sure, some are.. that's true.. but it's not as if that's the rule and not the exception.. the reality is that the odds of this happening to you are small... That said, you can really minimize this by practicing some personal safety..

Don't let this risk- such that it is, overly influence your judgment.. but use it as a simply reminder as to proper precautions to be taken.

If you're drinking beer (bottle or can) or otherwise, *ask* that the can or bottle be opened only in your presence.. If it's a mix drink- in many cases you can see the bartender making your drink.. does s/he add anything you're not familair with? There's no harm in asking them to make it in front of you if you're concerned. Never, ever leave your drink unattended if you go to the WC/CR/bathroom.. Don't drink more than you can handle.. Don't flash a lot of cash.. etc..

In the big picture about risks here in Thailand, while it's not unheard of, the simple odds of this happening to you are small... and can be reduced even further by exercising some simple safeguards.

Travel Safe,

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Horrible thought!!!

OMG and then you wake up to find yourself missing a kidney!!!

While its good to be cautious, there is also being overly cautious and suspicious. Unless you are having drinks in dodgy places you're fine.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Horrible thought!!!

Purplegirl,

I don't want to sound patronising but are you sure you are ready to travel on your own? You are from London but are having serious worries about visiting a similar sized city with much less violent crime than in our own capital?

Personally, i fear more when i am out on any weekend in my own small market town here in Devon, the risks to my safety are real and much more likely than anything happening to me in Bangkok.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Horrible thought!!!

London has seen such crimes. Possibilities are tiny. Sorry to disapoint Theabbotpostie but Bangkok has a very high crime rate, including violent crime, however, it rarely involves tourists and few foreigners are aware of the crime levels.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Horrible thought!!!

Hi dragonc,

the point i was trying to make to purplegirl is that she is much more likely to experience violent crime here in the uk. i am under no illusion that bangkok is devoid of it's own troubles, just that-as you correctly pointed out-as a tourist she would be most unlikely to witness, nor be involved, in anything tawdry.

my own testimony would be that on the occasions i have been in thailand i haven't been aware of any problems that would have threatened my safety, sadly i can't say the same about my home town-population around 20000.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Horrible thought!!!

Hi Purplegirl

I feel sad that you are getting yourself into such a state over various possible scenarios. As others have said, normal common sense and care will see you through any situation anywhere in the world, so you shouldn't creep around too scared to do anything or enjoy the experience of travel.

As for Bangkok, my husband & I have visited this marvellous city countless times. Love it and are always anxious to return. Although we've often been approached by people who were after a scam, we've never been concerned about that and there has never been a time when we've felt unsafe or threatened.

Acttually I feel safer and more at ease in BKK at night than I do in my own city where violence can and does errupt most nights in entertainment areas. I would probably be right in thinking it does also in London. I've never once seen anything like that sort of drunken, out of control mob behaviour in BKK.

My suggestion is that you relax, be sensible and enjoy your journey.

Edited: 10 October 2010, 07:46
Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A Horrible thought!!!

From your previous "Ladyboy" post I can only asume your worries are again based on what you've seen from the "big trouble in Thailand" rubbish? Dont expect your trip to be anything like what you've seen in that show. It was not a true representation of what Thailand is all about.

Yes, like the others say excercise some caution but keep it in perspective and dont let it stop you doing something you want to do. If you really do want to "travel the world" then you need to leave such worries behind or you wont get very far.

I would certainly not discourage you from going because travelling solo is the best thing i've ever done. However theabbott makes a good point when asking if you're ready...I think it takes a certain type of personality to travel solo and enjoy it. If you're going to be constantly stressed and worrying then is it going to be any fun?

Go to Thailand with an open mind. Dont only concentrate on stories of ladyboys, bar girls, scams or what "could" happen and just enjoy the experience. You may have experiences that take you out of your comfort zone but you know what...mai bpen rai...thats what makes travel so exciting.

Have a great trip!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Horrible thought!!!

Well said.

As the title suggested "Big trouble......" it is about sensationalised juicy stories. While I will be the 1st one to say that some of it probably happens, I will also say that the entire bar/girl/ladyboy scene is a tiny tiny fraction of Thailand.

I have gone on a bender on numerous occasions and I still possess both my kidneys, have never been robbed, unfortunately got groped and kissed by a gaggle ladyboys once but they didnt knick anything (apart form my innocence) :(

Remember one of the best thing about travelling are the people you meet along the way. Dont be so paranoid about scams and touts that you decide to build a wall around yourself and view everything with suspicion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Horrible thought!!!

Hi Purplegirl,

Females, travelling alone have to be vigilant about everything and this applies to any place in the world. My daughter`s drinks got spiked in Rhodes( Greece) in 4 * star hotel and luckily friends rescued her. I have also been stalked few years back. But I have not let it ruin my life and now I follow basic rules of precautions( also my daughter now). I agree with Gopbi`s suggestions..

I am travelling solo to Far east soon( 5 countries) but I am going to wear simple ( not provocative) cloths, not drink too much,Not wear too much makeup, leave my jewellery in london or hang out too late at night, unless I am v sure of people.

I follow the same rules in London when I am on my own, late at night or if i do then I tend to take a reputable taxi home.

Of course when I am with my b/ f then I wear smart dress, high heels have couple of drinks etc as I know he will protect me.

Just follow basic rules of precautions and you will be fine.

MMonkie,

I love your sense of homour :) brilliant

cheers

Diva