We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

calls to Rwanda

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Topic
calls to Rwanda

I've been trying to call a mobile phone no. Rwanda for the past 3 hrs from my mobile.

I'm on True Move but with internat. roaming.

If I dial 006 250 xxxxxxxxxx a voice tells me the country doesn't exist.

Yet Rwanda (250) is on the True Move list.

If I dial +250xxxxxit tells me that I have the wrong phone no. and I should check again.

Tried to call info 1331. No chance to get info.

Does any of you have an idea what I do wrong with Rwanda?

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: calls to Rwanda

Wouldn't have a clue Jemma, but you could always enquire around soi 5 on suk' as that area is where all the Africans have shops and congregate...they may be able to help!

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,280 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: calls to Rwanda

Hi Jemima,

I've just sent a message to a Thai Facebook friend who's recently been in Rwanda. Let's see if she has any ideas.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: calls to Rwanda

Hi Bill

Many thanks for your efforts.

Visited True but to no avail i.e. they blame the Rwanda provider.

Strangely, I can call the Rwanda no. via my overseas sim which routes thru AIS from here..

When I call from an AIS mobile I also get the friendly French voice telling me that I have the wrong no. The no. I have is correct as I have called my husband on this no. for 3 months while I was overseas.

I assumed the problem with the connection is at the Thai end. It may help to put a post on the Rwanda forum. Let's see what your contact comes up with.

Jemima

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,280 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: calls to Rwanda

Hi Jemima,

Well here's the reply from my FB friend. I'm afraid it's not too helpful.

"Re: Calling Rwanda

HI Bill sorry for late reply. I was on the road and for some reason couldn't reply to fb message from my phone.

Yes, calling Rwanda from Thailand is always the problem. I don't know why...!! I usually get in touch with people there via email...!!!"

Well... I tried.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: calls to Rwanda

Hi Bill

Many thanks for your effort. It appears that it is similar from UK acc. to a TA member on the Rwanda forum. Apparently, every so often you get through. Seems to be once in a thousand attempts.

Email works reasonably well normally. At the moment even email is down. Must be the rain there.

Jemima

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: calls to Rwanda

Hi,

I think I had a similar problem as you are when I was in BKK in 2009. If you are using an unlocked foreign phone (say from the US) while you are in Thailand, you must dial as if you still are in the US. You must first dial 011 + 66 then local number. I had a Blackberry from T-mobile at the time. Prior to the Blackberry, I had an unlocked Razr from T-mobile and I did not need to dial 011. I had Thai SIM cards in both of those phones, just to make it clear. Those were on two separate trips so I am not sure if it's the phones or the SIM cards. I suspect it depends on the phone you are using.

If I did not dial 011 from the unlocked Blackberry, I got the "incorrect/number does not exist" kind of msg. Hope this helps.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,280 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: calls to Rwanda

Jemima lives in Thailand and probably has a phone with a Thai SIM card, so I rather doubt that's the problem with calling Rwanda.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: calls to Rwanda

Bill,

That is exactly my point. It's not the SIM card. It's the phone problem. My unlocked US Blackberry with Thai SIM card gave me the same problem until I dial 011 + 66 + the rest of the digits. I was very weird. If she uses a phone she bought in Thailand then it is something altogether.

Edited: 20 October 2010, 21:16
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: calls to Rwanda

Never mind, I misread the question altogether. Cheers!

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,280 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: calls to Rwanda

That may be a problem peculiar to Blackberries. Because normally it's the SIM card which gives the phone its identity. The phone itself doesn't "know" whether it's a Thai or a Tasmanian phone.