We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Bangkok safe in December?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Bangkok safe in December?

In December, I plan to visit Bangkok in December, But I'm wondering about politic here. I'm not sure, I should change the plan or not.

Can some one advise me?

Thanks so lot.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Bangkok safe in December?

Its safe now, but we can't predict what might happen in December. There is nothing in the calendar to suggest anything bad will happen, but there is no guarantee, any more than anyone can guarantee no problems will happen in any other capital city in December..

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Bangkok safe in December?

Thank you ! Dragon

chiang mai
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Bangkok safe in December?

Bangkok has been safe for tourists even at the height -- or depth -- of the political unrest last spring. There were inconveniences during the occupation of the area around Silom in Bangkok, but things have been back to normal for some time. "Normal" means that visitors should take the same precautions they would in any major world city. (Statistically, BKK is a lto sager than many of them; relatively speaking, there is not much crime and even less violent crime.) Enjoy your trip.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Bangkok safe in December?

I am sorry to say that Bangkok was certainly not safe for tourists during the fighting that took place in May. Grenades injured several people travelling in the skytrain, and several westerners were injured elsewhere during the fighting. Hotels were invaded and used by snipers, very serious gunfights raged in and around a number of city center hotels and streets, and many hundreds of people were forced out of their homes, including one of our own DEs. We should not hide the facts from visitors, but thankfully that is in the past.

Edited: 18 October 2010, 02:27
New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Bangkok safe in December?

I have been in Bangkok during the protests the last several times there were problems. This in NO way affected safety. I felt safe. The only inconvenience was the occasional shutting down of some of the subways. Other than that, it was not noticeable to me. I spent 5 plus months a year in Bangkok and never once felt unsafe.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Bangkok safe in December?

I was in a restaurant on Soi Convent when an M79 grenade was launched into Silom, killing a number of people. We were not sure what it was, but people were moving around in its wake with a sense of purpose that was most unusual.

A suspected "bomb factory" in Nonthaburi suffered an own goal a couple of weeks ago. Be aware that the political situation in Thailand is still far from resolved and that there is always the possibility of further attacks and bombings.

That said I wouldn't worry too much. You're at more risk in the back of a Tuk Tuk in Bangkok's traffic or from Dengue fever, which claims far more lives than bombings.

Hotels have got some good deals right now so bargain hard!

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Bangkok safe in December?

Hi;

I Shall be visiting Bangkok in November, 2010 for 1 week vacation /holiday.

I Can only predict there will be No violence in next month even the protest

happen . The May, 2010 is in the Past and It Won't likely repeat itself

soon. Of course, I shall be more cautions this time

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Bangkok safe in December?

People like MidTMike need to get some sense. "This in NO way affected safety" - gunfights in Rama 4 Road, Lumpini Park, Din Daeng, Makkasan, Vibhavadi-Rangsit highway, grenades in Silom, Chareonkrung, Lumpini Park, Din Daeng, and many other places, even in outlaying areas well away from the city center. Statement like that are irresponsible and dangerous. Some parts of the city still bear the scars, including Rama 4 which was a complete no-go area for the army and the scene of some of the most dangerous fighting. So it was quite safe then? I wonder why the father-in-law of one of our regular poster was shot dead, and a friend of mine wounded by gunfire, and why one of our DEs was forced out of his Sathorn home because it was too dangerous to stay.And so many other people are dead.

Edited: 21 October 2010, 03:04
Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Bangkok safe in December?

it's always very safe as long as there's not protests...

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Bangkok safe in December?

No one can guarantee December will be safe or even in any other time. However, the King's birthday is in Dec, am I right?

So my wild guess is that since the Thai people have great respect for their King, they will or may not cause any trouble, at least in Dec?

Just my wild guess.