We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying prescription glasses

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Western Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Buying prescription glasses

Can anyone suggest a reputable optometrist?

I have my prescription and have recently purchased glasses in Asia for only $50 compared to $160 in Australia. Am hoping to find somewhere in Bangkok that can do the same price or cheaper.

Need them to be made up within a week.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying prescription glasses

I believe the name is "Top Charoen", but the spelling may not be right. I believe this is a franchise, and the price can vary some between locations. My wife usually goes to the Tesco on Rama 4 for glasses. You could also try walking from that Tesco up Rama 4 towards Lumpini and look for an optometrist. I am pretty sure there are some, but can not give more info. I think there is an optometrist in the Tesco that is not a "Top Charoen". Actually I think most tesco stores have an optometrist.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,280 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying prescription glasses

If you would like better service and maybe even better quality than Top Charoen or other chains, I would recommend the shop I've been going to for years: V.Siam Optical on Suklhumvit Soi 23 near Asoke. http://www.siamoptic.com/

I've always been very well treated there and they do top quality work.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying prescription glasses

Be aware that you have to pay upfront. if the lenses don't work out it is difficult to get them to change them at their expense. Esp. if they know you only have a week here.

I don't know where you bought the 50 $ lenses. Price does not always differ because Thailand is cheap. Quality also varies. Price depends on the make and thickness too.

E.g. my Rodenstock lenses are cheaper in Europe than in BKK I found out during my summer break in Europe.

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying prescription glasses

we used washington optical in amarin plaza a couple of years ago. I was nervous as it was my first pair of varifocals. I was really, really pleased with my varifocals but my husband also ordered some and he was not as happy with his (not sure why). We paid about £500 for the 3 pairs, which was a lot cheaper than the UK but my american relatives thought it was expensive.

Also had varifocal sunglasses made in chiang mai last year at top charoen for £90 and theyare also good. Yes prices will vary; there were 2 top char opticians shop just a few doors from each other and they had totally different stock and prices.

Best pairs we ever had were in koh samui but haven't returned there to get more!

5. Re: Buying prescription glasses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2011, 06:33