We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying near the airport or in town

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Lawrence
Level Contributor
226 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Staying near the airport or in town

Hi,

We're getting to Bankok in the night and have flight to Chain mai at 1:00 pm after. We will have few days later in the trip for Bankok itslef. So for this first night do we better staying near the airport, and is it safe area?

As we're family with two kids, any hotel around it that do have capacity of 4 people per room?

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying near the airport or in town

Well it depends on your plans when you arrive. If you know you'll just want to freshen up, maybe a swim and a meal then get some sleep, there's little point going into Bangkok proper.

You'll want to be at the airport by around 11am-11.30am for your onward flight to "Chiang Mai". Here's a list of Airport Vicinity Hotels, from which you can investigate available facilities further;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-c136691/Bangk…

...one last note, don't ignore the FAQ's on the right of this Bangkok forum page, as well as the broader Thailand forum page and Chiang Mai forum page for helpful info.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Lawrence
Level Contributor
226 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying near the airport or in town

Thank you, I did miss some of those articles and links.

However the problem of finding hotel that can accomodate 4 people and is close to the airport is still outstanding.

On a side note, I've made reservations for Grand palace hotel in Aug for Dec. I just found out that the rate has changed (reduced a bit), I called and they said that I should contact the web site (their web site...) as I already did the reservation. I contact them through the site and we'll their response, but I'm still wondering about the system...

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying near the airport or in town

Well you virtually signed a contract to buy the service for a price that you agreed on. It doesn't hurt to try, but I see no reason whatsoever why they would be inclined to let you back out of your contract.

PS. I have never heard of the "Grand Palace Hotel". Where is it?

You still don't mention what budget range you have, or when it is you're talking about wanting to stay. Just on checking the Novotel (right AT the airport) it took less than a minute to discover that in the lead up to Christmas they have rooms which accommodate 2 adults and 2 children (up to 16 yo) for US$150.

novotel.com/gb/…family.shtml

So now use the link I gave you before to research others for availability and price, and keep in mind that some hotels class children as being under 12 yo.

Here's a link from the FAQ's again which might just help you find the best price once you've picked the hotel;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c121265/Thail…

Edited: 12 December 2010, 04:38
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Lawrence
Level Contributor
226 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying near the airport or in town

THanks again for your response. My kids are 4,8 so they meet the critria of under 12. About budget the current reservation is f 3500 Baht (for prince palace hotel http://www.princepalace.co.th/) but then again we need to pay for taxi to and from and wase hour drive each direction.

I would prefer to find somthing cheaper but clean (and with hot showers..)

I looked in that link and went to every hotel the only one I could find was Floral Shire which doesn't have availble the rooms for 4 people, all the other ones had very mixed reviews...

And about the room price they basically tell me to cancel and re-book in lower price, so it would be easier just to change the price wouldn't it?

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying near the airport or in town

Well I'm not going to criticise them for making you cancel the reservation and re-book to get the lower price. (Make sure you're aware of the precise cancellation fees if any that are involved in doing that). If it was easy to change reservations, then everyone would be doing it at the last minute when the price (sometimes) drops wouldn't they?

Understand too, that the staff at the hotels don't necessarily have the authority to play with reservations, as well as the fact that their English comprehension is not always what you might wish it to be.

So you've ruled out all of the hotels listed on the link I gave you, what is your plan B? You've still avoided mentioning the date you're looking at which means I can't help you much more.

Edited: 12 December 2010, 13:57
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Lawrence
Level Contributor
226 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying near the airport or in town

I'm sorry I didn't try to avoid giving you info. We are landing at 10:50pm in BKK on Dec 16th leaving at noon of the 17th to Chiang Mai.

Didin't rull out yet all of them, looking for several different alternatives.

Plan B is to go all the way to the city to the hotel where I have reservation but this would be a waste of an hour to each direction after 20 hours flight...probably not very smart..

The limit of 3 people per room or king plus single is really making families traveling so much harder...

BTW, do you have any idea how far is this hotel

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d150003…

from the airport?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Lawrence
Level Contributor
226 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying near the airport or in town

And the novotel is not availble on that date...

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying near the airport or in town

Oakwood is about 23 kms (14 miles), here's a map;

http://www.tinyurl.com.au/z8r

Sinsuvarn has deluxe "triple" rooms 1120฿, up to suites starting at 2300฿ (including breakfast).

Their T&C's say;

• For children under 12 years, sharing the room their parents with an extra-bed, we charge for the room at the triple room rate. (maximum 2 children per room)

They also boast free 24 hour airport shuttle transfers, and are only 5 kms from Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Map;

http://www.tinyurl.com.au/z8q

http://www.sinsuvarnairportsuite.com/

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,593 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying near the airport or in town

There are a number of nice hotels in our airport hotel list which have prices similar to the Prince Palace (talk about mixed reviews...) and get good feedback. In any case, the average time to central Bangkok is 40 minutes, not one hour. Unless you're arriving late and leaving very early, there's little reason to stay near the airport.

10. Re: Staying near the airport or in town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 06:19