We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok , here we come

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bangkok , here we come

We (family of 4) will be in Bangkok in a fewdays, it will be our first time to Thailand. (We are there for 4 nights and 3.5 days)

I have asked many questions on TA and learned alot. I have not purchased any books, just TA and other websites, I have purchased 2 maps, the Nancy Chandler and also a very detailed street map, just incase we get lost.

This is my plan, please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Catch rail system to the Hotel

Tour guide for shopping (2 days @ 2000bht per day (7 hrs) - is this reasonable (various areas)

1/2 Tour of Grand Palace

Maybe a massage or 2

Maybe a boat ride somewhere

Any other suggestions

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok , here we come

2000฿ per (7 hour) day sounds high to me, unless it has inclusions like meal, transport or entry fees?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok , here we come

I have to pay for all extras on top, no transportm we will catch bts and i have to pay for all transport costs+meals etc

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok , here we come

Tour guide just for shopping...2000baht per day?Would reconsider and ask around for more quotes on that one!For family of 4 catching rail system to hotel..exactly where is your hotel ,as this is when the airport link may not work in your favour to any great benefit for reasons already discussed on this forum.A metered taxi at the offical taxi stand should be considered as it will deliver you right to the hotel door with no humping luggage around after a 9 hour flight!Thats the sensible thing I would reconsider,but others may have other reasons to agree with your itineray.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok , here we come

Why use a guide for shopping. Its all listed in the Top Questions on the right, and you can get tro most places very easily by skytrain/MRT/taxi.

Catching the airport rail link to your hotel is fine if its near an airport link station, but for a family of 4 its going to cost 600 baht, plus any additional taxi fare from the station to your hotel if needed. A taxi (you can find a van type taxi at the airport) should cost no more than 350-400 baht all-in to most city centre hotels.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok , here we come

Agree with bbtony. You should use metered taxi from airport. Also using a guide for shopping is overkill in Bangkok unless your extremely unsecure and nervous type. Make sure your hotel is near a BTS or MRT stop. Use BTS and it will get you practically to the doorstep of many great shopping locations for no more than 40 baht per person and more likely less.. Just to name a few: MBK, Siam Paragon, Siam Square, Siam Center, Suam Lum Night Bazaar (might be closed now) Pat Pong night Market, Chatuchuk Weekend market, Emporium Mall, etc. There are many good street maps available online that you can print for free if you want them. We can even suggest hotels if you give us your budgeted price range and preferences fro hotels. Check out Agoda and bangkok.com for good maps of hotels and their location vis-a-vis BTS and MRT stops. Agoda, hotelscombined, asiarooms, sawadee.com, and other hotel sites you can find in FAQ on Bangkok page here or Thailand forum page here will give you good rates.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok , here we come

I echo others.

I was there solo in Bangkok mid November and did need any guide for any days. Shopping is very easy and like others have mentioned that the Bts is very easy to catch. Even if you use a taxi to go shopping still it will not cost you lot.

Taxis are cheap in Bangkok if you get the metered (official one) at the airport.

For Grand Palace they do free tours at certain time, I did mine at 10 am and i had read bit about the grand palace so I really enjoyed my visit there.

Bad Windsheim...
Level Contributor
256 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok , here we come

Hi, just returned from 5 days Bangkok as first-timers:

airport - city: take taxi from the airport, do not mess around with carrying your luggage up and down trainstation/mrt/bts, taxi is a good deal!

shopping: I think you do not need a tour guide, we shopped at Patpong nightmarket (bags, handicrafts, watches, shirts), at MBK (everything), at Wang Lang market over in Thoburi and at the Siam Centres. Everything was good, easy and safe. Don´t forget to bargain hard (and with a smile and a little joke it goes very easy).

massage: check out Ruen Nuad at Convent Street near Patpong Night Market. It is a nice old teak house and the service is high quality without any posh supplements... expecially when you go after shopping in the evening you will experience a very relaxing time!

Boat: take the "Tourist Boat" from Saphan Taksin pier (BTS station), runs daily for a flat fee of 150 thb/pp up and down the river! Starts at 9:30 and then every 30 minutes. Nice!

Have fun! Travel safe!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok , here we come

What does the shopping tour entail? For B2000 you can have a proper city tour. Use that to see the sights and to keep notes on what you may want to revisit again later.

Also take the taxi from the airport, alot easier and cheaper then the train

New York State
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok , here we come

We have Nook meeting us our first full day in Bangkok. She is charging 1500 baht for an 8 hour day. She will take us to the Flower Market, Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha, Vimanmeak Mansion, Wat Arun, and on a Long Boat Tour. She will take us on various methods of transportation (BTS, river boat, taxi, and tuk tuk). We pay for transportation (300-500 baht), admission fees (450 baht/person), food (300-500 baht/person), and long boat tour (1,000 baht) - (these were the estimated prices quoted to us.) I am hoping this day serves to show us some sites, as well as a rough rough orientation to the city. The following day we were planning on trying to venture out on our own! Her email is cnnchinlawan@hotmail.com if you are interested! Hope you have so much fun!

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok , here we come

Again I question the amount of attractions that some guides insist on packing into the 8 hour window...O.K. if you are on a limited schedule /stopover fair enough,but way too much in one day to take in...and the extra admission fees smack of just getting as much commission from the individual as possible!Food 300-500 baht per person..sounds like an expensive day in Bangkok to me!

Edited: 12 January 2011, 23:14