We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand in 3 weeks?

england
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Topic
Thailand in 3 weeks?

I've got 3 weeks in Thailand this August (flying UK-Bangkok-UK) Never been to Asia so want to experience as much of Thailand as possible. Any thoughts on this plan?

Bangkok (2 days) e.g, grand palace, chaophraya, markets

Chaing Mai (4 days) e.g. elephant park, cooking school, doi suthep

Khao Yai National Park (2 days) e.g. trekking, wildlife

Khao Sok National Park (3 days) e.g. tubing, canoeing,

Koh Samui (5 days) e.g. swimming, snorkelling, Ang Thong Marine Park

May try and spend a half day at Ayutthaya between the national park visits. Anything major missing?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Asia Hotel Bangkok
Asia Hotel Bangkok
1,494 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Ayutthaya
Ayutthaya
Ayutthaya Province, Thailand
Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand in 3 weeks?

That looks like a great diverse itineray..The FAQ's on the right hand side give invaluable information on everything from transport/food and attractions...Also look at the different individual location trip' forums for advice from local destination experts also!Enjoy !

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
56 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand in 3 weeks?

I recently spent 22 days in Thailand and had a similar idea to you.

I spent roughly one week each in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Koh Phangan.

I don't think you're spending enough time in BKK. I would highly recommend that in BKK you take a full day tour to the floating market and the tiger temple. The Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha is a half day easy. I also took a full day tour to the ruins in Ayuthara (with a boat cruise back to BKK). There are so many great things to see around BKK that you probably want to spend at least 4 or 5 days there.

Chiang Mai was my favorite-- and you'll need at least 3 or 4 days there just to see the highlights. There are temples everywhere you look. You can also do a lot of your trekking from Chiang Mai. I spent a day at the Maesa Elephant training camp and it was definitely one of THE highlights of the trip for me. There are also many different eco-tours, etc. based out of Chiang Mai.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
The Grand Palace
The Grand Palace
30,166 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
england
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand in 3 weeks?

Wasn't too sure as to how long to spend in Bangkok - heard mixed things about it. I have the 2 days at the start of the trip and then will leave myself an option to spend another couple at the end - dependent on how the first 2 days go

I'll have almost 5 full days in Chiang Mai which I think will give me enough time to see the main sights that I'd like to but also some time to relax.

My only concern is the weather in August! But I figure if we go with the mindset that it's going to be overcast/raining alot then anything else will be a bonus!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
56 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand in 3 weeks?

I have to correct something... it was Chiang Siam Elephant Mahout Training School, NOT Maesa Elephant Camp I went to. I'd just read something about Maesa when I was writing and typed that instead for some reason.

Mentioned in this post
The Siam
The Siam
735 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand in 3 weeks?

Here is a good local guide for you who will take you where you want....Adoon Panyakham(Pooh) tel:08-21818359

POOH.CM@hotmail.com

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
347 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand in 3 weeks?

Thailand for 3 weeks in Sept - October.

First time in Thailand, can't wait.

Where is the best place to stay at huts on beach?

Best Elephant / Wildlife encounter?

Anything else you have to recommend or advise to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand in 3 weeks?

Huts on beach, either Koh Phangan, Koh Tao or Koh Phayam

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
347 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand in 3 weeks?

forgive me Cassnu.

Never been there, are these cities or beaches? Are they close to each other? Any idea how much? Do you recommend one over the other?

Thanks for your reply

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand in 3 weeks?

These are islands not cities. They are not the most touristy areas either, as the ones that are touristy tend to have big hotels now, not beach huts.

Koh Tao is popular with divers, Koh Phangan is very laid back and there are lots of different types of accommodation - people seem to recommend Thong Nai Pan a fair bit, as there is a lovely beach, a few different beach accommodations to choose from, restaurants and bars. Bottle Beach also on Koh Phangan is only accessible by boat from Chaloklum and has a very Robinson Crusoe feel. Koh Phaham is on the west side of Thailand, close to Myanmmar. It is supposed to be what Koh Phangan was twenty years ago, just a few huts on the beach and a couple of restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Bottle Beach
Bottle Beach
850 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
347 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand in 3 weeks?

Hello,

How did you get from Bangkok to Chang Mai.?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand