We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb 2011 Trip Report- BKK

LA
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Feb 2011 Trip Report- BKK

Just wanted to share the highlights of my 2nd trip to Thailand. We went to BKK- Krabi- Koh Samui- Koh Phangan (FMP) so if you're interested check out those other city forums.

BKK Highlights:

- Stayed at the Shangri la, splurged on this. Really loved the location and hotel. everyone is so nice there, and there really is no need for a river view, you have some partial views of the river and city.

- Since I was with friends who hadn't been, we did a tour with Jerry of Tong and Jerry for floating market and the market with a train going through the market (i forgot the area.) Highly recommend Jerry, a very kind man. The floating market was fun to gorge on fruits. If Tong or Jerry is reading this I am the mangosteen addict that wanted to go on the fried chicken tour.

- Nightlife

As a group of 30 somethings from LA, we had a hard time finding decent nightlife. We went to Mansion 7 to check it out . Went to the cocktail bar , it was overall dead for a Thurs night but it's an ok concept. We went to the moon bar at Banyan, highly recommend. We went to a strange nightclub ( i guess that's what we get for talking to cabbies) where there were old men, backpackers and thai girls "working." We went to the basement of the Intercontinental which is apparently a nightclub. the crowd was mixed with locals, african americans, and a group that looked like an american law firm celebrating in thailand with their 50 year old office mgr struttin her stuff on the dance floor. Outside of this place we got offered 150THB for a cab ride to shangri la. I threw a fit and told my girls we're walking the streets because I wasn't gonna pay that. So the guy finally turned his meter on and said some profanity about me and my thai friend told him she understood him and tried to play it off like bkk was the land of smiles.

FOOD

some recommendations are the shangri la breafkast. Just pay for it you won't regret it, even though there are stalls around shangri la sometimes you just want the convenience of waking up and eating and not worrying about baht or communication with vendors.

Highly recommend NARA at Ploenchit bottom floor of Erawan, but watch out it could get spicy. Something crept up on me I was close to freaking out thinking I needed to go to Bangkok Hospital.

We ate at Naj at Convent area near Patpong only because we listened to the concierge after a lazy evening of not knowing where to go. It's a beautiful restaurant but it's a tourist trap. Let's just say we were surrounded with Thai girls on "dates" with some foreigners and overhearing a conversation on the next table about how this 65 year old man has "never done this before" saying this to a 21 year old looking Thai boy. So we knew never to listen to the shangri la concierge from there but it was a trip to experience that environment.

We of course ate at Soi Polo fried chicken my favorite. Quite embarassing when I gushed when the chicken came out and the workers started laughing. That fried chicken is sooooo good.

We had lunch at Arunotel after a day of temple seeing. I think this place is called the Deck ? Decent price, good food. The rice noodles with lobster was really good. We wouldn't have minded going back there.

We had some snacks at the market/pier area of Tha tien. fried bananas, coconut juice, random fruits, crepes.

MISC-

I highly recommend going to the movies to relieve yourself from the heat. The movie theatre experience is nothing compared to what the US has.

definitely go to MBK food court. I think it actually got better from the last time I went 3 yrs ago.

Definitely haggle 50% down when you're at the bazaars. If they won't budge just say you'll be back, and they wont let you leave and will give you what price you want. the reality is the same product is just a few feet away from another booth. If they do let you walk away watch out they're talking profanity and will signal to the other booth not to entertain you.

definitely don't go to patpong unless that's your thing. The suan lum night bazaar is gone (so sad it was so much better). If you want to do the night bazaar thing you're better off at silom area near the malls.

Definitely arrange for car service when you arrive in BKK from the airport. Ours didn't show up and we had to wait half an hour for the one we hired from transportation authority to come around.

Be careful when you drink sodas with ice. I hardly drank water during this trip, but my stomach had to learn that ice is a no no.

Other than that as expected Bangkok was awesome but we couldn't wait to get outta there to start swimming in the ocean.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Mbk
Mbk
161 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb 2011 Trip Report- BKK

Many thanks for the TR.

I'm going on my 3rd trip soon but I always pick up useful info from other experiences.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb 2011 Trip Report- BKK

Throwing a "fit" isn't the recommended reaction, but for some of us, it can be a hard habit to break.

Ultimately though, you're more likely to get your own way more often by flashing the pearly whites :-D

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb 2011 Trip Report- BKK

Thanks for taking the time to write the report. We also love the shangri La but have taken note not to ask the concierge for restaurant tips on our next visit.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb 2011 Trip Report- BKK

I am glad you had good time. Thanks for sharing.

5. Re: Feb 2011 Trip Report- BKK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 11:18