We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Siam Riverside---Other Choices

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
New Siam Riverside---Other Choices

We will be in Bangkok this November. We like the Riverside for it's location and proximity to the water taxi. But the riverside rooms with balconies begin at 88 USDs per night which I think is very high for a guesthouse in Bangkok. Does anyone have other suggestions with a similiar view and location to the water taxi? We don't need the luxury but do want the view and location and are willing to pay for it if there are no other choices. Thank you.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,750 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Siam Riverside---Other Choices

The only equivalent on Phra Athit is the Navalai, which is about the same price for a room without a view, but somewhat more luxurious than the New Siam.

Maybe you'd like the River View Guest House, which is 1200 to 1500 baht for a riverview room depending on room and season. Word is, this long-standing landmark has recently gone through extensive renovations. http://www.riverviewbkk.com/

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Siam Riverside---Other Choices

dear bill2p, I have read some recent reviews on Trip Advisor and it sounds as not much has changed with the poor service, untidy and not clean. Are these all unfair reviews? I would appreciate objective opinions.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,750 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Siam Riverside---Other Choices

It seems the positive reviews are from those who've stayed in renovated rooms and the negative ones come from those who ended up in an unrenovated or partially renovated room. I don't have any personal experience with this guesthouse, so I can't give an objective view.

Some negative reviews also seem to come from people who don't like or understand a traditional Thai neighbourhood eg "Located on the edge of China Town, we did not feel comfortable walking around here at night and the street outside the hotel was flooded in the morning so we had to lift our bags up onto a platform and carry to dry land."

4. Re: New Siam Riverside---Other Choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 06:15