We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do New Years?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What to do New Years?

I would love to do something different for New Years. I was thinking Lov Nava Cruise but that's a lot of food for me (I'm a solo female traveler.) And I'm not sure if they can give me a ride back to my hotel; - I think you have to be near the area. I'm near Thonglor BTS.

I was thinking of joining the people in the parking lot at Central World but 200,000 people sounds pretty wild. I can't imagine the best way to exit.

Any ideas?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,568 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do New Years?

Hi,

To an extent nearly anywhere you might be on that night will be a challenge finding a ride back.. so, unless you're prepared to pay a premium or walk back, it's going to be the same issue you face..

That said, the river cruise I personally think would be a great option-- and the fact that you're a single (one person) traveler makes little to no difference in my opinion.. The issue of too much food I can appreciate, but I think you're taking the cruise as much for the cruise as you are for the eating- so there's really no impetus to eat it all..

The Central idea is also good.. but yes, it will be crowded, but I don't think that's otherwise unmanageable..large crowd yes, but not unruly.

Travel Safe,

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do New Years?

I needed to hear that. Thanks!

Hmm... I am wondering if they will pick-up and return me to my hotel near Thong Lor in Sukhumvit. Somewhere I got the impression that they only pick-up & return near the pier. For what they are charging - it should be included but who knows. I'm going to email and hopefully get a reply.

If anyone on TA knows it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited: 10 April 2011, 21:03
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,568 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do New Years?

Hi,

I would be sure to *specifically* note your hotel location and remind them of the date... Just to be sure there's no confusion or misunderstanding..

Travel Safe,

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do New Years?

Not sure about the cruise pickup but I have did the Centrel World countdown this/last year. There is a lot of people. The security searches are quite strict, metal detectors and even confiscate certain items (mainly from young thai males).

People show up early to catch the best spots for the concert and fireworks. Lots of food, lots of people selling stuff and since TIT, lots of blinking lights on everyone. :)

For getting home I just walk over tp Petchaburi and grab a cab from there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do New Years?

Monkey - Was there fireworks as well as outdoor music put on by a DJ?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do New Years?

AWESOME fireworks display.

The concert last year was by Rich Man's Toy (i think) the people who sang that Thai song with the english chorus...i love you and you love me.....

You can also book a seat in the beer gardens, I was there watching Modern Dog and Sek Loso.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do New Years?

Thanks! How do you book a seat in the Beer Gardens? What time do I show up?

Edited: 11 April 2011, 04:30
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do New Years?

No idea, I got a pass from Pod. I think some people line up very early to get a table, some may even book/pay days before.

Apart from the beer gardens, everything else is free.

9. Re: What to do New Years?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 11:20