We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pubs?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Downpatrick, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
pubs?

First time in Bangkok and was just wondering what the pub/club scene is like?

can you just head into the centre and go into whatever one you fancy? or is there certain places to stay away from? just looking for nice pubs maybe with a bit of live music and pub grub?

Thanks in advance. Paul and Bronagh.

Ireland
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pubs?

We are heading to Bangkok for first time in June and after a lot of research on this site i think you just need to know your areas.You also need to be aware of what kind of bars you go into loads of info on this site We cant wait love the adventure!

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pubs?

Well you certainly won't be short of bars that 'do pub grub' as there are a stack of Irish/English theme style bars around Bangkok city,a fair few of them located up on sukhumvit and my favourites are The Black Swan( get off Asoke),Bulls Head(Bullys..near to Nana BTS Marriot hotel...Hanrahans Irish bar is also on Soi 4)The Duke of Wellington and Molly Malones are just a few others(get off Sala Daeng BTS)..Just a word of warning pace yourself during the 'happy hours' that some of them offer...they are actually 4/5 hour happy hours in many cases...not a pretty sight !!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: pubs?

Head down to Nui's Jazz Bar near the Holiday Inn Silom; eat local food and listen to local musicians. Admakers is another good music bar/eatery at 65/3 1st Floor, Athenee Residence, Soi Lang Suan

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pubs?

In the vicinity of Sukhumvit 33 there are several, including Boars Head, Londoner, Dubliner, and Robin Hood. On Sukhumvit, there is a new one which I have not visited but have heard some decent things about. It faces Sukhumvit near 29 or 31. It has a big smoking area outside if that is important to you. Unfortunately I forget the name, but it is easy to spot.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: pubs?

Like the others said, it depends what you're looking for. I myself really enjoy Thong Lor area for trendy clubs, pubs, and lounges.

My favourite is The Iron Fairies which is located at 394 Soi Thong Lor (sukhumvit 55) It's pretty small, but the decor is like an old blacksmith shop with sort of a magical stoy-book feel to it. They have the best burgers you'll ever eat and make some mean drinks entertainment usually consists of a live band, usually jazz.

Just down the road from Iron Fairies is She Bar (around thonglor soi 11 I think) they have a much larger capacity and a good selection of international beers on tap also with a live band.

Downpatrick, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pubs?

Thanks so much for all the info folks, it will really help us out.

We try to stay out of the irish themed bars as we can do this back home!!

Will definitely try out one with local food and musicians, thanks tony!

ps, We are staying close to the pat pong (sp?) night markets, i've read its in the red light district. We would like to go to the market, but will we get tortured by the promoters looking us into the clubs etc? is it worth going to?

Thanks again in advance, Paul and Bronagh.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pubs?

If you are out in Patpong, never go upstairs or into a place with a confusing entrance. I never go in to a place with a closed door or curtain. If you want to have a drink, sitting outside is a good way to avoid a problem. Bars with an open door are usually ok also, at least in my experience.

8. Re: pubs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 11:21