We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

As it says on the tin - seeking a great Indian restaurant, the type selling dishes not swimming in oil... Grateful for your suggestions.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

Hmmm, there's a reason they call it "China Town" you know......

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,447 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

Actually Chinatown is right next to Little India aka Prahurat, which has been a vibrant Thai-Indian community since 1898. Read more about it here: khaosanroad.com/liz_clayton/little_india_ban…

Here's a map: travelfish.org/map_detail/…26

You couldn't go wrong eating at the Royal India on Chakraphet Road.

The best Indian meal I've maybe ever had was recently at Masala Art in the Thonglor Eight complex on Soi Thonglor (aka Suklhumvit Soi 55). Not Thai Indian but upscale Delhi cuisine and somewhat pricey by Bangkok standards.

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

Thank you for taking the time to comment - obviously theres more to ChinaTown than Chinese restaurants though fairs fair, you've got me there ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

Thanks Bill2p - we did wander into 'Little India' and was surprised at how 'small' it appeared. We did see Royal India and ti be honest it didn't really appeal - whilst walking around the market it was also recommended to us by a Sardarji stall holder, ordinarilly we'd been all over it though this time it didn't feel quite right.

The night before we ate in Suklhumvit, this part of town is full of Indian Restaurants (which given it's location - ie not Little India) was a surprise - I can't remember the name of the place we ate though the english translation from Hinde is 'Chef' so should be easy to find, my wife is from Delhi though is relucatant to tell me the Indian name as keen to write a review!!

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,447 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

If by "Sukhumvit" you mean Lower Sukhumvit, I'd advise you to try another part of town. That area is mostly tourist trash. If your wife is from Delhi, I'm sure she would enjoy Masala Art. Along with the scrumptious food, it's also an aesthetically pleasing restaurant with great service.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

I found it for you. Is it Bawarchi ? We have one in London as well.

bangkok.com/tatler/restaurants/bawarchi.html

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

Ok I found the restaurant website.

http://www.bawarchiindian.com/

Ireland
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

What kind of prices for food in this restaurant as website dosent say

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

indeed it was Bawarchi - it was excellent, the butter chicken was like the BC you would have in Delhi, was very good as was the rest of the food. Not sure of prices as our host ordered and we were not allowed to pay, though I don't believe it to be overly expensive.

The whole restaurant was full of Indians, I was the only Gora!

We're heading south for four weeks and when we return I think we'll be staying in that area - we checked out Khao San last night and hated it.

We've been stayingin China Town and can highly recommend this part of town.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking great Indian Restaurant in or very near China Town

Thats good, the restaurants looks great on the website. I hope your wife does not mind if we spilled the beans.