We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Thailand using award tickets

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Thailand using award tickets

Does anyone have experience in using miles/award tickets from the US to Thailand?

My preferred airline is United or any other airline that is part of the Star Alliance.

wouldn't mind a stop-over in Hongkong, Tokyo or any other location on the way to Bangkog.

Open for creative suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Thailand using award tickets

I fly often from Denver to Bangkok on a fairly regular basis, using miles for tickets and/or upgrades. The easiest route out of Denver is through Narita (Tokyo). If you are coming from Kansas City you may route out of O'hare or Denver. The O'hare flights generally go through Narita also, but you can get flights through Hong Kong.

It is more difficult to use the miles for an award ticket with a stop over, but it can be done.

The process is pretty easy. You can book using miles online. However, I never book upgrades internationally online, as United's online system will not confirm if the upgrade is actually available using miles on an international flight. If you call the 1-800 number you can determine if the upgraded seat is available.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Asia
Level Contributor
362 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Thailand using award tickets

THAI flies LAX-BKK non-stop, but probably award tickets are rare and few and far between on this route

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Thailand using award tickets

Award tickets not so easy with saver awards anymore - standard award which means dbl the miles for economy is easy to get.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,527 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Thailand using award tickets

Hi,

You actually have LOTS of options..

First, let's start with your origin of MCI (where I assume you are starting)...

You can use use UA/CO or even US to get to any one of the Star Alliance's major west coast US Asia gateways.. From North to South they are:

From Seatte:

UA: SEA-NRT-BKK

OZ: SEA-ICN-BKK,

From San Francisco:

UA SFO-NRT-BKK

OZ SFO-ICN-BKK

CA: SFO-PEK-BKK

SQ: SFO- ICN-SIN-BKK

SQ: SFO-HKG-SIN-BKK

NH: SFO-NRT-BKK

From Los Angeles:

UA: LAX-NRT-ICN

OZ: LAX-ICN-BKK

CA: LAX-PEK-BKK

NH: LAX-NRT-BKK

TG: LAX-BKK

SQ: LAX-NRT-SIN-BKK

Note: There are only the 1-stop or 2-stop *same carrier* connection options from the west coast. I have not included options from Chicago ORD)..

There are many more multiple carrier options as well as eastbound (via Europe) on Star Alliance carriers like Turkish, Lufthansa and Swiss-- just t name a few.. Most US origin passengers do go via westbound routes, but there are eastbound options as well.

This should give you some things to look at..

Travel Safe,

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
475 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Thailand using award tickets

I have no experience with Star Alliance, but I've cashed in miles for Skyteam flights to Asia. It's become very difficult to get basic seats -- Skyteam has three different "prices" now, as opposed to two several years ago. It used to be possibly to fly r/t for 60,000 miles,but now you'd be lucky to find a seat for twice that. It's best to book a seat the same day it becomes available, something like nine months in advance.

A couple of years ago I flew my wife to Thailand to join me after I spoke at a conference in Macau. I was able to get her in to Phuket, but the only return ticket I could find was from Kuala Lumpur.

So we flew to KL on AirAsia, arrived after noon, had dinner, and put her on a late overnight flight home. Got a quick visit to another country. I spent the night, then flew AirAsia to Macau, took the ferry to HK and flew home on my original ticket.

So when you're struggling to find seats, don't restrict yourself to flying in and out of the same city. There's no open-jaw penalty for award flights, and AirAsia tickets can be really, really cheap if you plan ahead.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Thailand using award tickets

I just used miles to fly to Thailand in April - I always fly through Narita from the west coast. If you mean a stopover as in a day or two in Tokyo or Hong Kong, I don't know if thats allowed or not.

Level Contributor
168 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Thailand using award tickets

I just got off the phone booking a similar flight using us airways miles through star alliance. . . Orlando to Beijing with a stopover in Bangkok. You should start by downloading the KVS tool, which helps to create the perfect route. For instance, if I asked for Beijing to Orlando there were no seats left, but I used KVS to figure out a route back to Orlando and just read that route to the reservations rep who plugged everything in. Depending on which airline your miles are on, you are allowed 1 stop over and/or 1 open jaw for the roundtrip.

In your situation I would suggest going from the US to Hong Kong and ask for a stop over in Thailand. Just make your stop over in Thailand for the amount of time you wanted to spend there and then head on to Hong Kong for a few days and then return back to US. This route would be 60,000 miles for coach as opposed to 80,000 if you made your trip to Thailand with stopover in Hong Kong.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to Thailand using award tickets

I miss Northwest. I never needed more than 60000 miles in the good old days. Delta says you can get an award ticket to Asia for 60000, but I have never found a bookable ticket for less than 120000.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
290 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to Thailand using award tickets

I'm using American (One World) miles to fly next month. Tokyo (NRT) seems to be the popular connection point from the west coast via JAL. LAX-NRT-BKK.

Another route would be LAX-HKG-BKK, but after several attempts with a wide travel window I got the impression award seats on Cathay Pacific are scooped up as soon as they become available.

I'm coming home from Indonesia, connecting in Tokyo again. They were out of economy awards but I had enough to settle on a business award. Yay!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,828 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights to Thailand using award tickets

You've all fared better than me! :)

I've never found a decent award ticket to BKK on United. I don't regard it as a problem; I buy a coach ticket, upgrade to Biz, use it as a mileage earning trip (17k EQM/34k miles), and use the miles on trips to Europe.