We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

Mi wife and I (both early sixties) are coming to Thailand for 17 days next month. We are having three days in Bangkok at the start and four days at the end with ten days in Hua Hin in between.

We would like to travel from Bangkok to Hua Hin by train for the experience but we will have two heavy suitcases and hand luggage to take with us. Can anyone tell me if this is practical and what trains are suitable for both comfort and ability to accommodate our luggage?

Are seats on these trains readily available or do we have to book in advance?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

Ask your Bangkok hotel to help you find a good car with a safe driver, should take 2.5 hrs and cost about 2500bht.

Enjoy your trip. Very nice place Hua Hin

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,418 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

With heavy suitcases it is impractical. Also, the trains are not so frequent. Moreover, they are usually delayed. Indeed, I have spent many frustrating hours waiting at Hua Hin for the train to Bangkok. Aside from the private car you could try a bus. What about leaving the heavy bags in Bangkok and taking the train for the experience ?

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

We intend to take a taxi or a coach back from Hua Hin.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

For the money I would definitely organise a private car.

I was in a bus that side swiped cars and it was a big 50 seater. Sure it cost 90baht but it took 4.5hours (no toilet on board nor did it stop for one) and was ridiculous - had to even change buses with our luggage too, and yet got a private car on the retunr trip for 800baht but it was air con, had a dvd player, he even had cd's in just about every language, and best of all the same journey was only 2 hours.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

With heavy suitcases and two of you it's just not practical to either get out to southern bus station or even Victory Monument for a mini bus...just too much physically hard work!As for the train here is the link that has all the relevant details from Bangkok to Hua Hin...Again you should factor in the cost of a taxi from your hotel to Hualamphong train station..then your train fares and then the 100 baht taxi fare from Hua Hin station to your hotel and ask yourself is it worth the hassel or should you consider a taxi down?

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Southern Thailand

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,908 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

Last trip we had a private driver take us from Jomtien to HuaHin, CD player comfortable seats door to door. We stopped twice for a break. The roadside petrol stations have restaurants attached excellent toilet facilities.

Going back from HuaHin to Bangkok we booked again a private driver,very comfortable van door to door (airport). Luggage was all lifted by driver. We arrived both destinations refreshed.

You could always do a short train ride from HuaHin station to somewhere as a day trip. CJ

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

Agree that if you intend to return to Bangkok and really want to get the train, then would just take a light bag each and leave the heavy bags at the hotel for your return.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
56 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

We took the train from Bangkok to Hua Hin without any problems. We rented a room in a guesthouse and left our bulky luggage there just because we like to roam around with a carry on size bag. You can take larger pieces on the train though. Interesting scenery.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

We took the train last Dec - no problems. We took transit to the train station the day before and bought a ticket on the "xpress". (I think we asked for first class too, but not sure if we got it - seemed like 2nd class to me.) If you look on line for the schedule, pick the train that is sched to arrive in the shortest time with the fewest stops. Next day we took light luggage & caught the train. Wudn't want to struggle with a lot of bags, but if you make it on, there's no more hassle 'til you get off. It did run a little late, but it was worth taking the trip one way. They fed us a boxed lunch too! Despite all the great reviews about train travel, Hua Hin's about as far as I would care to travel. The station in Hua Hin is very cool! Also, wud recommend trying to avoid using the toilets on the train - squat style and rough train ride - not pretty!

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok to Hua Hin and Back - How Easy?

We took the train last Dec - no problems. We took transit to the train station the day before and bought a ticket on the "xpress". (I think we asked for first class too, but not sure if we got it - seemed like 2nd class to me.) If you look on line for the schedule, pick the train that is sched to arrive in the shortest time with the fewest stops. Next day we took light luggage & caught the train. Wudn't want to struggle with a lot of bags, but if you make it on, there's no more hassle 'til you get off. It did run a little late, but it was worth taking the trip one way. They fed us a boxed lunch too! Despite all the great reviews about train travel, Hua Hin's about as far as I would care to travel. The station in Hua Hin is very cool! Also, wud recommend trying to avoid using the toilets on the train - squat style and rough train ride - not pretty!