We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soi Sukhumvit 8

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Soi Sukhumvit 8

Sorry to write another question regarding the floods- But been going through the mamoth post and cannot find anything on Soi Sukhumvit 8. I will be staying there the night of the 28th-

Hotel says it is fine to get there from the airport.. but being an experienced traveller- wishing to ask the handy Destination Experts or if anyone is there now or recently (i hate asking questions when there is so many problems over there now..)

As I don't want to "clamber" through BKK if it is worth me to stay at the airport for my conecting flight.

Thank you

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Soi Sukhumvit 8

You would be well advise to avoid the city as much as possible. The PM on TV about an hour ago said that it was certain that every district of Bangkok would get some level of flooding. The city governor says the same. Many foreign governments (not sure about Aussie) have issued travel advisories. There are also issue with drinking water shortages, and possible health issues. The situation is changing rapidly.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soi Sukhumvit 8

Sukhumvit Soi 8 is *normally* easy to get to, and if the area is still dry tomorrow it may be easier if traffic is light.

However, the operative word is IF. At the moment, from what I read, that area is ok. But the situation could change in the next 24-48 hours. And consider that you may get to your hotel (Adelphi Suites or On8?), but then find you can't get back the next day. And there's a high tide this weekend which will make the risk of flooding greater.

If Sukhumvit floods (or Siam which is nearby), it will be all over the main flood forum and the news.

Edited: 27 October 2011, 07:09
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soi Sukhumvit 8

Thanks guys.. will be checking back in with you tomorrow and also packing some bottled water in my bag.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Soi Sukhumvit 8

kime, where is your final destination, and which airline(s) are you flying ?

A number of airlines have issued travel waivers. Depending on the nature of the waiver, it *may* be possible to reroute to another city for an overnight and connecting flight.

tripadvisor.com/…36656307

travelfish.org/blogs/…

5. Re: Soi Sukhumvit 8

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 09:22