We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok Taxi Drivers

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok Taxi Drivers

Dear all,

please pardon my question as i have read through alot of stories of taxi driver being scam artists.

My question is..

Is it safe to take the taxi in BKK as i have read accounts of drivers being aggressive..

Terry

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok Taxi Drivers

Always take taxi meter,make sure driver agreed on meter fare before getting in.Most Bkk taxi driver are ok,avoid those that park near hotel that wait for passenger and mostly don't go on meter fare or someone suddenly approach you when u outside of hotel asking where u want to go.Just politely ignored them and just flag down a passing taxi meter further away.There are plenty of taxi cruiseing around and surely one will take u and fare start at 35 bht.Have small note of 20,50 &100 bht for taxi fare.Have not encounter any nasty taxi problem in Bkk since 1998.One People One nation!!!Bon Voyage!!

Edited: 09 December 2011, 13:53
Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,897 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok Taxi Drivers

Hi,

The vast majority of taxi drivers in Bangkok are honest, decent people. Like anywhere in the world you can find an exception.

A stated above, if a particular driver 'singles you out' you are probably better off saying no politely. Instead, stop a taxi in the street and make sure the meter is switched on. And, take change with you.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok Taxi Drivers

95% of cab drivers are honest hard working people. A small minority give the rest a bad name. Never agree a fare always make sure the meter is turned on. Drivers are facing a 90% increase in the cost of fuel but can't charge higher fares to cover it.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok Taxi Drivers

Yes they are safe, just demand that they use meter... Some wont and some wont take you on your ride if its not worth it for them... Like I lived in Bangkok Noi at one point and when I was in Sukhumvit and the traffic was bad.. a lot of the taxidrivers didnt want to take me home if we drove by the meter... In that case you should just know the right price (which you of course wont know since you are a tourist)...

Funny story...Once at I think Don Muang Airport I took a cab and he started driving in towards the city... I asked him to turn on the meter .. and he didnt.. he then asked me where I was staying and he had a very good hotel for me! I told him I had other arrangements at which point he got pissed and wouldnt take me there... He turned around and dropped me off at the airport again...

Goteed1
Level Contributor
373 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok Taxi Drivers

I just got back from my first trip to Bangkok and had a hard time with the alot of the taxi drivers. Luckily I had been reading the tips on this forum, but I have to say that most of the drivers tried in some way to "bargain" with me. It got really tiring, so I tried to use the BTS more often and walk whenever possible.

Beirut
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok Taxi Drivers

I agree with Leomak on this.

just be careful and you will be fine

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok Taxi Drivers

All I will say about taxi drivers is that the vast majority are driving taxis because they are qualified to do little else.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok Taxi Drivers

OctoberSix

And some of the ones that do drive taxis, aren't quailfied to do that either!

Alan

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok Taxi Drivers

"All I will say about taxi drivers is that the vast majority are driving taxis because they are qualified to do little else."

Unfortunately quite a few Bangkok taxi drivers come in from the countryside when work in the rice field cease. They understand very little English and have poor knowledge of the city streets.

Always flag down a passing taxi and always use the meter.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok Taxi Drivers

My statement pretty much covers all taxi drivers, wherever in the world. Most aren't suited for regular jobs or regular hours.

Thailand is one place where the drivers are, at least, Thai nationals. In many places, taxi drivers are foreign immigrants, often leading to further confusion.