We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

I am traveling to Bangkok via Japan. Flight leaves at 10:45am NY time and finally arrives in Bangkok at 11pm with a 2 hour layover in Tokyo. Any advice to avoid jet lag, dealing with the long flight and adjusting to local time?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,133 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

Hi,

Take a look at this link and I'm sure there are plenty of others:

nhs.uk/conditions/…Introduction.aspx

I try and sleep as much as I can on the airplane. And, when I get to my destination I sleep if my body tells me to and drink plenty of fluids (water). I'm usually excited when I travel away from this part of the world and I suspect this helps me overcome jetlag. However, I do realise that you will be crossing a number of time zones. Perhaps one of our American friends can offer further advice.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

Hi,

To me the big two, and are mentioned in the sub-link from the article referenced in #1, is:

a) Adjust your sleep time (closer) to the time at your destination.. In the case of New York; which is +12 to Bangkok, is a somewhat hard task, but if you can move it back a little bit, that would help.. Bottom line, the quicker and closer your body gets to the local conditions the better you'll be.

b) hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.. not only drinking, but moisturizer; be that skin, face, hands and eyes.. I go thru about 2ltrs of water per 3hr period or so.. no caffeine or alcohol either as both work against you for hydration.

Travel Safe,

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

We fly frequently from NY to Asia, Europe, South America and I find that my worst jet lag is on the way home partially because the trip (usually 6-7 weeks) is over. Going to Asia I am so excited and "UP" that I usually arrive with enough energy to force myself to stay awake until early evening, eat lightly, and pass out early to sleep as long as needed the next morning....but not late. I try to sleep as much as possible on the planes, alternating with some reading and perhaps one non-violent movie so as to gradually adjust my awake hours to arrival destination. Since 3 of my kids are docs, I take their advice and totally avoid caffeine and alcohol and try to drink plenty of water and juice (but no colas) and use skin moisturizer while on the plane and after I arrive.

We will be on the same flight plan for mid January: depart JFK 11 AM to Tokyo, a few hours at Narita, arrive in Bangkok at 11:15 PM. When are you going?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,008 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

Your biggest obstacle may be the fact that your day will be completely inverted; what was noon, will now be midnight!

You might try waking up very early the morning of your flight, so that you might be tired and able to sleep from around noon or 1 PM EST.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

My best advice is to change your watch to the local time of your final destination and try and co-ordinate/adjust from there.

Stay awake/alive to the new time and go to sleep as you would at home, at the nomal time.

Next day you may be a bit groggy, but the next you should be ready to go.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,008 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

Coming from New York, there is no need to change a watch to local time, unless it's digital on 24 hour time; it's a 12 hour difference! ;-)

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

I agree with Marley2 - I did that both on way out to Bangkok from the Uk & home from Singapore. It's hard & the first day or so in the new time zone I was quite tired but then I was fine.

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

The other major issue to consider is if you take any medications. You will have to think about whether you can just continue taking them at same time as you take them at home during your entire trip. Or, if there are some that must be taken at night vs morning, you may need to spend the first 2-3 days gradually shifting the timing of the meds. For example, I take an allergy pill in the mornings to help me with pollen and plants all day. Taking it at night would not be nearly as helpful so I had to shift it 6 hours at a time to get it back to the morning of the day I was in, rather than doing without it for too long a period of time by just switching and doing without for a full day.

Otherwise I agree that just trying to force your body to stay awake as long as possible to the new time works best....and being excited helps.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

Stay up night before you go then take a kip on the plane. The goal is to be deliriously knackered by the time you reach your hotel then you will sleep like a happy bunny then wake up in the morning super refreshed.

10. Re: Advice to avoid jet lag to Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 10:19