We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinion: Currency Exchange Rate

Jaipur
Level Contributor
750 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Opinion: Currency Exchange Rate

Hi all,

I wanted to share an opinion regarding the exchange rate, I earlier read that the exchange rate is same in city and airport .. however with respect to rate in particular of dollar .. i found on 4 occasions that the rate which was offered at airport was about 1 baht less than the rate in the city .. it could be coincidence, but on closer observation we saw that in city there were offering different rates for 50-100 dollar bill, a different rate for 1-2 dollar, which I think explained the difference for me, because in airport they only offered one rate ... the rate for 50-100 dolllar bill in city was almost 1 baht higher that the 1-2 dollar.

-puneet

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,551 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinion: Currency Exchange Rate

Thanks for the info. Which bank, in your opinion, is the best one for changing dollars ?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinion: Currency Exchange Rate

Superrich who are not at the airport do offer better rates. But banks all offer the same rates at all branches on the same day. You have to compare the same bank on the same day for the same currency and amount. The rates between banks on any day do vary and the rates change every day. There are always differenes in the ratea for large and small US$ bills.

Jaipur
Level Contributor
750 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinion: Currency Exchange Rate

I found that at airport they did not have different rate for large and small US $ bills ..

difference between banks we found to be small ..0.1 -0.2 THB .. we got good rate from Bangkok Bank at times .. but in general there are 4-5 in one area and shopping around is best ..

4. Re: Opinion: Currency Exchange Rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2012, 10:20