We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

Toronto
Level Contributor
257 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

My boyfriend and I are 25 and will be travelling to Thailand Jan 10 and will stay in Bangkok for 4 nights and then another 2 nights at the end pf our trip in Feb.

We would like to stay in an area where we can easily get to the major sites and see all the touristy stuff. We would also like to stay in an area with some character and that has a lot of good restaraunts and bars to sit and have a few drinks.

Our price range is $40-$60 cnd with taxes and fees (about 1200-1800 Baht?).

What areas do you recommend? Do you recommend any specific hotels?? (We really love boutique hotels).

Thanks!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,311 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

Hi,

I always stay in the Sukhumvit area which is good for bars and restaurants. The sites (the Grand Palace, Wat Pho) can be easily reached by public transportation, that is the Skytrain and River Boat. I shall let others suggest a hotel(s) since I stay in cheap places.

I ought to add that Sukhumvit is well placed to shop, if you like that kind of thing !

notts
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

sukhumvit!! .. stayed there since may /1987 as my name implies!.. mainly on soi,s1/2/3/4/5/6/8/20 and 22..boutique hotels springing up all over the place last 3or4 years!, check out this site for some leads....enjoy

Edited: 14 December 2011, 19:51
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

Last week I stayed in Soi 4 off Sukhumvit in Nana.

The Dawin Hotel - thats dearer than what you want but that area was good, the Ibis was next door and Hotel Nana looked good too, with a good open bar downstairs.

Nana of course is famous for the go-gos, and because of that the street was hectic with awesome street food and lots of markets on footpath. Very fun area. You also are close to Nana Skytrain station, which is easy as to use, and you can take down to river and get river express up to Grand Palace which is a nice way to do things.

Taxi from airport to there is about 400 baht when you round up and 70 baht in tolls.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,593 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

25 years old and your first time? Definitely Banglamphu (usually mis-named as Khao San Road area). The oldest and most historical area of Bangkok, and full of atmosphere and character. Close to the majority of the most important tourist and historical sights, and to the river which is Bangkok's heart and soul. Lots of bars and cafés and some of the city's best restaurants. Because the area is a magnet for young people, it also has a youthful vibe. In addition, for your budget of 1200 to 1800 baht you would typically get a high-end guest house or mid-level boutique hotel room in Banglamphu, but a worn-out low-end hotel room in Sukhumvit.

Some recommendations:

Lamphu Tree Hotel: http://www.lamphutreehotel.com

Boonsiri Place www.khaosanroad.com/boonsiri_place/index.htm

One of the New Siam group: http://www.newsiam.net/

Sourire @ Rattanakosin Island http://sourirerattanakosinislandhotel.com/

Erawan House: www.khaosanroad.com/erawan_house/index.htm

Edited: 14 December 2011, 20:26
California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

I just recently stayed at the Maxim's Inn soi 7/1 Sukhumvit road.

The Deluxe room with Queen bed and Breakfast for 2 persons

was 1190baht per night . The hotel is close to BTS Nana and very

quiet eventhough only 100m. from Sukhumvit road.

Toronto
Level Contributor
257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

Thanks for the tips!

So do I stay on Sukhumvit Road or Banglamphu >? lol

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

Sukhumvit! Not necessarily ON Sukhumvit Rd... just stay on one of the sois that lead directly off of Sukhumvit Rd. Soi numbers (even or odd) will tell you which side of the road they are on. Soi 11 has a number of hotel options. Look at Grand Business Inn. Soi 8 also has lots of places. On 8 hotel is very possibly in your price range, but I hate a room with no windows! Grande Sukhumvit... soi 6... used to be Sofitel. Lovely hotel. Not sure how it is priced, but probably more than you want to spend.

IMO Sukhumvit is the best area to stay in.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

Not Sukhumvit too touristy boring area. Like bill2p says Banglamphu or Khao sans rd area has charactor. Other better areas in Bangkok are the Riverside or Silom

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

Hi,

With a small budget 1200-1800baht a night hotel , You Don't have

much choice in Bangkok . The riverside hotel is very expensive .

So is the Silom area. I would stay in the Sukhumvit or Khao San

backpackers heaven cheap motels.

The advantages of staying Sukhumvit road are many . You will be close

to BTS Sukhumvit line. On top of that Sukhumvit road is the Center of

all Entertainments catering Tousist industry and also the Financial

Center of Bangkok. You can find many Banks and exchange outlets

in Sukhumvit area . I Visited Bangkok many times and I could Not find

another area to take Me out the Sukhumvit area.

Even my Thai's friend agrees there is No other area in Bangkok that

has all like Sukhumvit lower Soi.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,311 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Area to stay in Bangkok?

Wherever you decide to stay take a look at the other place and come to your own conclusion. I wouldn't like to say Sukhumvit is the best area but I do believe it is the most convenient for shopping etc and it is well served by public transport. Indeed, the best place for me is Minburi but that is far away from the action in the city. Enjoy wherever you go !