We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

NEWTOWNARDS, N...
Level Contributor
445 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

Can anyone please confirm if the train from the airport to the city centre will still be operating at around 19.00 on New Years Eve - my flight is due to land at 18.00 and I have to meet friends ASAP to bring in the New Year (I will be going to Nana BTS station).

Thanks.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

Yes, it will operate until 2am on NYE. You need to change to the BTS skytrain at Phayathai.

NEWTOWNARDS, N...
Level Contributor
445 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

Great stuff, you're a gentleman.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year from 'balmy' Northern Ireland (about twenty five degrees warmer than last year) - next Friday can't come soon enough.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

Nollaig shona duit! Have fun!

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

On arrival head for the lifts once you clear customs. Go down to the basement, buy a plastic red round token from the manned booth for 45 thb and enjoy the 36 mns journey to Phaya Thai. If you have heavy luggage look for the lift on the opposite side of the stairs when you alight. Take the BTS for your final section of your journey provided the hotel chosen is nearby a BTS station. Have a great time.

Edited: 23 December 2011, 13:19
NEWTOWNARDS, N...
Level Contributor
445 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

Cheers for that but is the direct train not only about 20 mins then a quick change on the BTS? My hotel is close to Nana station and I travel very light so luggage won't be a problem.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,345 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

The City Line takes 27 minutes to Phaya Thai and makes 8 stops. The Airport Express takes 18 minutes, non-stop.

Beirut
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

it will be open for a good long time after you land in there.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

Hello everyone, I am not disputing bill2p on the exact travelling time as he is always well informed. I must have taken a slightly slower train or my watch had a fit!! On a serious note I suggested the City Line because in my view it takes less negotiation in switching to the BTS from Phaya Thai where the city line ends as opposed to Makasan where the Airport Express ends. If your hotel is around Nana, then that should be a seamless effort. Enjoy your stay there.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

Some of the express trains also now run into Phayathai, but not every train. You need to watch the destination board.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,345 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from airport to city centre on New Years Eve

The Airport Express trains go non-stop to Phaya Thai on the even half hours eg 06:00, 06:30 etc. and take 17 minutes. The last train leaves at midnight. The trains go to non-stop to Makkasan every 40 minutes beginning at 06:18, then 06:58, 07:37 etc. and take 15 minutes. The last train leaves at 23:38.

The City Line trains leave the airport about every 11 to 13 minutes (it varies), starting at 06:02 and ending at 23:56 on weekdays. On weekends and holidays they run every 20 minutes starting at 06:11 and ending at 23:51.