We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 3 day side trip from Bangkok

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for 3 day side trip from Bangkok

Visiting BKK for the 3rd time in February for two weeks to have dental surgery done...only problem is, can't fly on our 4 day break because of pressure issues. Can someone please suggest an entertaining short visit to a resort or destination not too far from Bangkok? Doesn't matter North or South and money is not an issue. Thanks T/A!!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,086 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 3 day side trip from Bangkok

Hi,

Kanchanaburi, it's a beautiful area with many attractions including the Erawan Waterfalls, the Hellfire Pass (2nd World War History), Museums and Temples.

It's about 2.5 to 3 hours from Bangkok and is easy to reach by bus, mini bus or a slow but scenic rail journey. And, Kanchanaburi is a nice place to relax on the banks of the river.

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 3 day side trip from Bangkok

a second vote for kanchanaburi- I fancy booking a 2 night break at hintok tented camp and seeing some of the sights (again!). love the area it is so relaxing, and there is lots to do if you want a full programme.

If finances are plentiful, how about looking at the overnight trip on the barge (?menhora) up to ayutthaya travelling in real style and comfort.

I have also had my eye on the RV River Kwai- a restored colonial river cruiser www.jasmineholidays.co.uk/Hotel.asp…

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 3 day side trip from Bangkok

My suggestion would be to visit Amphawa, which at the weekends turns into an afternoon Floating Market by the canal near Wat Amphawan Chetiyaram. It is possible to lodge in "homestays" mostly run by Thai families at very modest prices say 700 to 800 baht. In the evening take a canal tour to see the fireflies. Thai people tend to go there because of the laid back atmosphere, the market and the food. You can also visit the local gardens which were among one of the royal residences in the past. Given the dental surgery I am assuming that you will be able to eat.It is possible to reach Amphawa by mini vans, usually at Victory Monument. I visited with some Thai friends and found it reasonably quiet and peaceful while at the same time thriving by the floating market. I hope it all works OK for you.

Giorgio Federico

Edited: 27 December 2011, 09:24
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 3 day side trip from Bangkok

I agree Kanchanaburi would be nice.

If you want a coastal location , Hua Hin is 2.5 hours by cab / limo south, and if money not an issue set yourself up at somewhere nice such as the Centara ( Sofitel ), Intercontinental, Hyatt Regency, Sheraton or similar if you want beach/coast area.

Or, the ultimate - Chiva Som Health Resort

If you want total R&R the Evason Hideaway Six Senses resort and Spa about 30 mins south of Hua Hin.

Intercontinental ocean view would be a nice place to relax though and service is superb.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 3 day side trip from Bangkok

how about Koh Samet? lovely little island about 2 hours south of BKK on the eastern seaboard on Rayong province. you take a 30 minute ferry from the mainland. once you get there you have your choice of hotels ranging from low to high price and very isolated to right on the main beach in the little town.

Jo

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for 3 day side trip from Bangkok

Salsajo, Koh Samet is a splendid idea. However, given that you are suggesting travelling by bus (I assume Ekkamai station also served by the BTS sky train) it usually takes me nothing less than 3.5 hrs, plus the wait for the ferry and, as you suggest, around 30 mns to get there. The ticket is 157 baht one way and the ticket for the ferry less than 100 baht. Have you been using a faster way that you would like to share with us? I am genuinely interested.

jdmmdm, please also note that Koh Samet is a national park. Hence, you will be asked to pay a 200 baht entry fee on arrival. I would love to say check my review on Koh Samet, which I posted recently following a stay in Wong Duern a couple of weeks ago but I have noticed it is pending approval. Should be up sometime soon, so watch this space. There are many lovely bays in the island and some are more popular then others. The island is popular with Thai people because it is within easy reach from Bangkok and it does not require boarding a plane. Some of the resorts are quite pretty there and it lends itself nicely to some photography too.

Enjoy

Giorgio Federico

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for 3 day side trip from Bangkok

i went with a group of 8 people, so we arranged a private mini bus with a driver and since we were staying at the Samed Club we were whisked into their private waiting bungalow and then taken to the ferry via a little buggy. upon landing on the island we were taken right onto those open back songtaews to the resort, which i have read on this forum that often passengers are "overlooked" for the entry fee when they get on to those straight away!

:)

Jo

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for 3 day side trip from Bangkok

Thank you Jo. That was helpful and yes at times boarding one of these "green coloured" and numbered open back little local buses "may" have the added benefit of being overlooked by the local immigration/police officers. You will see the latter showing up at the beach when a boat arrives but they are quite friendly really. I stayed in Wong Duern a few times but it is possible to walk from bay to bay to some extent. Watch out for my review on Koh Samet soon to be published. Happy holiday everyone.

Giorgio Federico

9. Re: Suggestions for 3 day side trip from Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2013, 10:21