We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going alone

Jersey City, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
going alone

Hello All,

I am planning to go alone to Bangkok too. So it looks like I will be okay if I use wisdom. I wanted to know what area is best to put me close enough to shopping and restaurants and close enough to the temples. I want to do some things on my own first. Then I'll hire a guide for the sites that are further away.

Thank you!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,090 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going alone

Hi,

Banglamphu (Ko San Road) if you want to be nearer the Temples and the Grand Palace. Silom or Sukhumvit for the shopping. In reality, wherever you stay you can get from one place to another with a combination of Skytrain and the River Boats. Personally, I stay on Sukhumvit.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,542 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going alone

Hi,

I'd agree but also add that the Banglamphuu isn't as well covered by the cities various mass transit option as is the Sukhumvit and Sliom areas.. This isn't to say it's inaccessible, but that by comparison to Skuhumvit or Silom it's not as good..

Therefore, my thought would be to stay in the Sukhumvit or Silom area as you're probably going to spend more time in the shopping and eating areas-- thus can and would probably use the BTS or MRT to get around those areas, than you will the temple areas..

Travel Safe,

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going alone

You dont mention anything about a budget. Age. Preference etc.

As Andy indicated the temples and the shopping area is 2 different areas.

A combi location could be by the river near the Skytrain. Then you will have the skytrain to take you to the shopping/restaurant/nightlife and the river boats to take you to the temples...

Personally I like to stay at the river but its not in the middle of neither shopping... (but with easy access to both)

I would always choose to stay near the skytrain system, which makes me pass on the Khao san rd area which I would only suggest if you are a backpacker type or on a strict budget...

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going alone

This is one question I had to consider on my very first visit. After much searching and also advice from Tripadvisors posters in the Bkk forum, I short listed Silom and Sukhumvit and eventually I chose the latter. I was glad I did because of the proximity to the BTS sky train, the shops and nearby shopping precinct. Temples and the Grand Palace were not nearby but the BTS reached Saphan Taksin Bridge and from there I bought a ticket for one of the boats and reached the various temples and Banglamphuu that way. Caution: if you like quiet than the staying by the river may help. The rest will depend on your budget, your attitude to a different culture and your general likes and dislikes. If you enjoy life for what it is then Bangkok has a lot to offer. Finally, do some research on the the three prevalent seasons and how well you can take the heat. Enjoy your stay.

Giorgio Federico

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going alone

Hi,

I always stay in the lower soi Sukhumvit area. You are close to BTS skytrain

for doing shopping MBK , Siam center and Mochit open market Chuptacheck. Yes, the Grand palace and Temples, China town can easily

reach by using BTS and riverboat . The Khaosan area basically is for backpacker people and cheap motels . The Sukhumvit area at night is an interesting sight to see with a lot of street foods and people watching.

Regardless the first timer or repeated visitors of Bangkok, I still have a thrill

feeling at everytime travel to Bangkok

Jersey City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: going alone

Thank you all so much! The hotels I am considering are in the Sukhumvit area but I was a little concerned because I read some reviews that area isn't safe at night. I will be doing tours most of the time early in the day and would have loved to be able to city the nightlife at least one night without being scared.

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: going alone

Hi,

What's area in the Sukhumvit that Is Not Safe at night ?

There are many tourists at night all over the street and side walk

in the lower soi Sukhumvit and polices as well .

I am more scare to go down town Los Angeles city day time than Bangkok at night. Just be caution when Do the walking alone at night and watch out

the traffic that may not yield for pedestrian .

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: going alone

Yoli433 (not sure of your gender as to distinguish, where possible, your potential concerns as to safety if any exists) but I will say this. In terms of safety and/or danger, Bangkok, in my view, is not different to any other big city. Thus, no need to be scared or have any other apprehension. If you are touring the city during the day you may wish to rest at night. Then again with so many shops, food courts, hotels, bars and nightlife in Sukhumvit, there is always something to do. Carry a copy of your passport with you (leave the original in the hotel safe), follow your instinct and avoid doing or taking anything which may be likely to impair your judgement. Other than that, go with the flow, enjoy the city and remember to share with Tripadvisors how it went. If you have specific queries, post of a questions and someone is bound to have an answer. All the best.

Giorgio Federico

9. Re: going alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2013, 10:20