We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with trip planning

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Help with trip planning

I am travelling to Bangkok in September and plan to travel around. I will be there for 3 weeks and plan to fly into Bangkok and travel from there to Cambodia up into Vietnam. Then to Laos and then fly back from Hanoi to Bangkok. Can anyone advise the best way travelling from Bangkok into Cambodia. Or advise any useful websites.

Also what are some of the best beach places in Thailand?

Many Thanks

Lewis

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with trip planning

All that in 3 weeks??? LOL. Too much.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with trip planning

lewish20, that seems like a marathon for 3 weeks and you may need to call on Phileas Fogg. By the time I finished reading it my head was spinning!!

On a serious note, I am not sure about your budget. However, if you can, consider flying from Bangkok to Siem Rep in Cambodia which is closer to Angkor Wat. Also bear in mind that as a UK citizen you will have 30 day Visa on arrival but once you exit and renter the Country you will be given 15 days only. Laos is ragged with beautiful landscape. Luang Phrabang is lovely in Laos. I will leave other posters to advise on Vietnam and how to reach it from Cambodia as I have not tried this route before.

As to the best beaches, it depends what you are after. For quality of sea Krabi, Phi Phi and the bay of Phang Nga but they will also be busy with tourists. Hua Hin is not too far from Bangkok as well as the island of Koh Samet can be easily reached from Bangkok. By posting a few more details it would help us narrow down the advice.

I hope this start is of help.

Giorgio Federico

Edited: 30 December 2011, 21:16
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with trip planning

lewish... you will be like a small smooth stone skipping across the countryside of all these countries you want to visit in 3 weeks, and never seeing much of anything as you go out of one country and on to the next! You wouldn't be doing any of the countries justice in passing through so fast, or yourself for that matter, as you'd be constantly on the move, trying to see as much as you can but not letting the ambience of where you are sink in...

I would suggest you pick 2 countries, not 4, and spend more time in each. Bangkok has much to see, but so does Chiang Mai ( a quick flight north) and it is very different from Bangkok. From Chiang Mai, it is a 1 hour flt to Luang Prabang, Laos where you could spend a few days, then travel south to Vientiane - these are the 2 main cities in the northern part of Laos, which is a very beautiful, mountainous area.

Then you could either fly back to Bangkok, or do a quick 2-3 days in Siem Reap, Cambodia, flying from Vientiane (to see the wonderful temples of Angkor Wat), and then back to Bangkok and home... but in my opinion, to also try and include Vietnam is just too much and not enough time.

Last year, I spent almost 3 weeks in Vietnam and barely scratched the surface. Just a thought. Whatever you decide to do, try and stop once in awhile and smell the occasional rose!

Edited: 31 December 2011, 22:40
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with trip planning

dont forget to your visas for vietnam when u leave your country

a must for people who travel from bkk to other asian countries who need visas

5. Re: Help with trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 10:20