We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silom Area

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Silom Area

I am watching another thread on where to stay.

The popular choice seems to be Sukhumvit, where I usually stay.

I wanted something different this time, hence the change.

I do like Sukhumvit but find it to be quite commercial and not really a great lot to see during the day.

I have booked and paid for the Silom City Hotel.

Have I made a good choice?

Happy New Year!

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silom Area

Yes,I think so too. Silom is nicer, you can walk to river to take a boat.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Silom Area

IMO not that much different. Silom in the day time is a busy business area, which also has lots of hotels, shops, and restaurants, and about half of it has the skytrain running along it. At night it gets very busy as a entertainment zone.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silom Area

something different something new, I would stick to Sukhumvit but wouldn't care so much. Your on a holiday and am sure you will make the most of your time. As an avid lover of Thailand, it's good you try a different approach. As me suggesting Sukhumvit, its probably cause its closer to my home. Enjoy your stay, both areas are commercialized sorry. You have made a great choice as now you will learn more about BKK, good luck.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silom Area

Yes stick to your choice Silom is a much better area. It has a good business like vibe your not far from the river

My first hotel ever stayed was Silom Village Inn but heard the nearby Silom City is fine.

I try to avoid the Sukhumvit area if I can when in Bangkok. Too touristy more chance of rip offs with taxis street traders. Can be sleazy as well

My thinking in Bangkok is East is least West is best!!

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silom Area

There have been many similar queries of late and I am sure, from what you write, that you have already spotted them. It seems to me that there is no unanimous agreement on this point.

My current view is that if you have tried Sukhumvit, it is also worthwhile to try something different and Silom is upscale enough with sufficient vibrant eateries to make it enjoyable. Hopefully, you will return again and again and this experience will allow you to decide with less doubts and, in future, you will be able to advice other posters on Tripadvisor when they enquire.

Have a great time.

Giorgio Federico

Edited: 01 January 2012, 15:23
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silom Area

Many thanks for your kind replies.

7. Re: Silom Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 10:18