We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

Malta
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

Friends, in Feb I'm planning 3 weeks in Thailand (my first time) and I'll be landing in Bangkok. Before I head south, how many days do you reckon I should spend in Bangkok? Friends of mine suggested 2 nights max? Do you agree?

Cheers

Charlene :o)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

Hi,

Two nights (which I define as being essentially three days and two nights) would be-- to me-- insufficient.. but again that's all dependent on what you want to see and how in-depth you want to get..

You can always do a very, very cursory overview of the city and do so in about one full day.. but I think that at minimum 3 to 4 days would cover it.. And of course the pace that you must go to see what you want within the time you've allowed will also be impacted.. For me, I'm not a fan of having to 'clock-watch' when I'm on vacation, but again, that's me.. some like to run on more fast-paced itineraries.

but as with all these types of questions, and answer really does fall to what do YOU want to see and what's the value to you?

You could easily spend a solid week here and still not have seen it all..

Travel Safe,

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

No. Bangkok is the heart and soul of Thailand and it needs several days just to see the basics of one of Asias most fascinating cities.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
737 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

At least 3 nights but more is advisable. Having only 2 nights means that one day is arrival and one departureday which makes me feeling stressed. I would also advise you to visit Bkk in the end of your travel as jetlag will make you tired the first day.

Take a tour on the river and go into the Klongs, visit grand palace and wat arun. Shop til you drop at all the malls and don't miss out of sipping some cocktails at any of the numerous skybars. Bangkok is a fantastic city. My favourite one in the world.

Perhaps you could give me some recommendations for my upcoming (2:nd) visit to Malta in March via Pm? ;)

Edited: 03 January 2012, 12:50
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

thats 21 days total? the south is very nice but this is your first trip, don't know of your money constriants but you could do a lot more with this many days. Bangkok is vibrant and historical and 2 days is just a quick overview. Not enough time but this depends on your interests and why your spending all your time in the south. nothing wrong with that either.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

The people who like BK will tell you it is not enough, the other will say it is more than sufficient.

it depends on what you like. what do you expect from BK? What is important to you for your trip? Why you are going south?

I would say two full days is the minimum to get a basic taste of Bangkok.

California
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

not sure what time your flight arrives but from the west coast of the us usually late at night so i don't count the first night

depends on you

i'm an asiaphile

3 trips to thailand

i've spent 2-3 days not enough

i've spent a week which left me with idle/free/unprogramed time but i wanted some of that to just wander

for the average person who likely may not return i'd say 4 solid days a minimum

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

Hi,

I can tell you I will spend all my time 3weeks in Bangkok and more because I like the city life and entertainments venue with many shopping malls.

For the First timer in Thailand , You should at the minimun spend 2weeks

in Bangkok just to know the city historic attrations mainly Grand Palace, Temples, and shopping paradise .

I Don't see that many things in the South interesting enough to spend more than 3days . I take the Chiang Mai region over the South at anytime for site seeing and pleasure time with much more things to do .

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

3 days is enough full stop.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

I now love Bangkok but in small doses.

This is a wonderfully exiciting sensual electrifying and chaotic city.

I fall in her arms recklessly every time and become intoxicated with her scent.

After three or four days I pull myself away and go and see all her other sisters (cities, villages, seaside and mountains) only to return to her arms thirstier than before.

I just can't get enough of her and I discover something new every time.

20 September 1977

"When a man is tired of London he is tired of life"

by Samuel Johnson

04 January 2012

"When a man is tired of Bangkok he has stopped living!!"

by Giorgio Federico

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days should I spend in Bangkok?

Oops...20 September 1777 in his conversation with Boswell.