We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day trip

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 day trip

I'll be volunteering Chiang Mai for the month of april but plan of flying into Bankok and staying there for a few days before continuing my journey.

I'm 23 and traveling alone so would prefer recommendations on a hotel that is in a "hip area" or a hotel with a great hotel bar.

As well as any help on what to do since my time is so limited.

I plan on spending my first day just walking around is there any area I should stay away from.

Also I would love to get some blazers made will I have the time?

Thank you!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day trip

I was also wondering if I should get a sim card in bangkok or wait until I get to Chiang Mai?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,603 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day trip

Sim cards are readily available in Chiang Mai as well as Bangkok.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day trip

You may get a better response if you were to give an indication of your hotel budget. Bangkok has it all from seedy joints in forgotten sois to world class level bars and all will have a price to match the surroundings.

In terms of hotels in "hip area" Bangkok is a buzzing metropolis with many great hotels and also with so many bars why limit yourself to one?

AjarnAndy has already provided you with a good answer with regard to your sim card question.

Happy drinking

Giorgio Federico

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day trip

As regards to pricing I would like to stay at about 100usd per night I would not want to go higher than 150usd a night

My only reason for preferring a hotel with a great bar is that I'm not sure how comfortable I am roaming a foreign city alone at night and would like the option to go downstairs and have a drink ( I can easily be swayed on this, I just have never traveled alone and am honestly a little frightened)

Thank you for you're help it's greatly appreciated

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,752 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day trip

Don't be afraid, Anna. If you use all the normal precautions you would in your home city, use a good deal of common sense, read some of the scam warnings (without becoming paranoid about them) and keep to well lit and busy areas at night then you'll enjoy your visit in this great city.

There are loads of really good hotels within your budget and it would be good for you to look in either the Silom or Sukhumvit area and close to a skytrain (BTS) station which will make it easy for you to get around. Both these areas are teeming with restaurants and places to sit, have a drink and watch the world go by.

I often walk around the area by myself and am completely safe. Loads of people everywhere.

We've recently discovered a really lovely little boutique hotel on Surawong, which is in the Silom area, called the De Arni. Have a look at the reviews. It would be well under your budget but is only 3 years old and the staff are friendly and very helpful. It's also close by heaps of restaurants and an easy walk up to Sala Daeng Skytrain station which is on Silom (parallel to Surawong).

If you decide on that area, I'd be happy to give you the name of a fun bar where you can have a laugh with the staff and be completely unmolested.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 05:23
BKK
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day trip

for 100 USD you can nearly stay anywhere

sukhumvit area has many hotels, bars and clubs

young people usually stay khaosarn area - hostels, bars and clubs

in april is songkran festival (thai new year) also popular in khaosarn

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,603 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day trip

Anna,

I understand your concern about arriving in a previous un-visited city. Indeed, it can be a daunting experience but as travelkat 88 suggests take the precautions that you would in your home city. With your budget it will be very easy to find a hotel but I cannot recommend one with a good bar since I normally go out for a drink. Indeed, I would spend far less than what you quote above and spend more on shopping, Bangkok is an amazing destination for it. I would also suggest that you stay in/near the Banglamphu/Kao San Road area where you are more likely to meet other younger people there alone.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day trip

Hi all thank you soo much for your help. I really have no idea s to why I'm so nervous probably just the traveling alone part I'm from nyc so the idea of a big metropolitan city doesn't scare me.

I think I like the sukhumvit area more because it seems a more luxurious than than the Kao San Road which is probably for someone who is better at backpacking than me.

Now I've been looking at some hotels. Maybe someone can give me a yes,no location wise.

I think I've been swayed as far as hotel bar and would love some recommendations as far around the hotel once I get closer to choosing my ideal one.

I know this a ton of places, just having a hard time.

Dream Hotel

Sofitel Bangkok Silom

On8 Sukhumvit

Park Plaza Sukhumvit Bangkok

The AETAS lumpini

Davis Bangkok

Kingston Suites Bangkok

Legacy Express Bangkok

S31 Sukhumvit Hotel

Hotel Solo Sukhumvit 2

S Sukhumvit Suites Hotel

Citrus Sukhumvit 22 Hotel

Le Fenix Sukhumvit

I cannot thank you all enough for you're help

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,603 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 day trip

Hi Anna,

I can't recommend any of the above hotels since I go for the cheaper places. However, I always stay in Sukhumvit whenever I'm in Bangkok. Luckily, Sukhumvit is served by the Skytrain which makes life a lot easier for getting around. Indeed, you can take a combination of Skytrain and River Boat to visit the Grand Palace and Wat Pho, two of the major sites that people visit. Also, Sukhumvit is within reach of a number of Malls, convenient if you like shopping.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 day trip

AjarnAndy, most of these hotels are in that area or at least they came up when I was looking.

I realized that many people may not know the hotels but know the area. I put all of them into a google map. Maybe that will help those of you who are familiar let me know which is in a better location, centrally located etc.

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Edited: 26 January 2012, 18:49