We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

Ok, I'm suffering quite serious brain-fade now.

I've been doing my resaerch for a month now but I cant decide where to go, the choices are limitless. I want to see, feel, hear and touch everything the far east has to offer. Sadly though I only have 18 days to do it in. So if I can give you some background, maybe you can help.

My wife and I are sharing our fiftieth birthdays' this year as well as our 25th wedding anniversary and we wanted to go somewhere memorable to mark the occassion.

Although Fifty we're not old fa rts (much) and are perfectly capable of keeping up with a younger mob when needs must ;o)

We like comfort, sun and sand, food and drink, tours and sightseeing, and a visit to bangkok, slurping noodles from a street vendor with a neon lit crazy metropolitan backdrop in the pouring rain a la "Blade Runner" style, has always been dream.

The trouble is I cant decide where to go other than BKK. Or for how long we should stay in BKK.

We're going in November and am aware that rain maybe a problem in some places such as Koh Samui amongst many others.

We're not well off at all and only have a budget of about 300 pounds sterling per day, so uber luxury is out of the question. However I do think that almost anywwhere in the region would be kinda do-able, if we're prepared to compromise.

So far I've flip flopped between stays in Bkk, Hua hin and Krabi.Three seven and seven days respectively.

With,

Kuala lumpur, BKK and the Andaman islands, (3,7&7 days).

Now finally, I'm fairly sure I want to spend a week in Bkk. and ten days in Bali!!!

If not Bali maybe Lombok or somewhere in Indonesia!!!

I know the temptation will be to say " well what ever you decide you'll have a great time" ;-)) But It would be interesting to get your more considered views, if possible.

Oh by the way we're both Thai/far east virgins, which probably goes some way to explaining my indecisiveness.

Regards, and thanks in advance,

Mark.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,537 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

Hua Hin would be a good choice or have a look at Khao Lak, better weather than Samui at that time of year.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

We are the same age and poor too!!i would suggest having at least 2 days in Kanchanaburi.We stayed at VN Guesthouse in floating raft rooms for $12 a night...with aircon.Fabulous.

There is so much to see and do but ther ride on Death Railway and the walk through Hellfire Pass and the walk up Erawan falls were amazing.You can get a train up there and VN will pick you up for free.We did tours with Good Times Travel and it was very reasonable and fantastic service.

Best value was the 10 baht bar!!!!!!At the markets prices were cheaper than anywhere....my 5 X 65 baht watches are still fine after 6 months.You can design your own days out with Good Times too...best day for us was "Touch the Nature"...WOW

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

In Bangkok we stayed at Rambuttri Village in deluxe rooms for about $35 a night and loved it.BEST location just 2 minutes walk to Khaosan Rd but quiet,rooftop pool great and very clean.The markets on Soi Rambuttri were great.You can walk to the Grand Palace and the river to get ferries everywhere.it was GREAT and cheap.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,537 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

Also suggest having a look at Chiang Mai too, I think you would love it - most people do.

A good itinerary to give you a good start to Thailand would be:

Bangkok

Chiang Mai

Khao Lak (75 minutes north of Phuket)

Then fly direct to Bali with Air Asia from Phuket.

All of which you can get reasonably priced accommodation, cheap food etc. Air Asia and Nok Air are good, cheap airlines to fly with otherwise, the overnight train to Chiang Mai is supposed to be fun and you get a nice comfy bed to sleep in.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,439 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

300 GBP or almost 15,000 baht a day is a huge budget for Thailand. You can easily find comfortable accommodation for 1500 baht or less and meals for 100-200 baht - a fraction of that if you eat street food. Even domestic flights won't bust your budget at around 1500 to 2000 if you book ahead, and bus travel goes for much less than that. In Bangkok, if you shop around and avoid the international name-brand chains, you can get quite a bit of luxury for 50 GBP. For instance, in local chains like Centre Point, you can have a stylish 45 square metre studio for 2000-2500 baht including free wifi, all the latest consumer electronics, kitchenette, washer-drier, gym, pool, breakfast buffet and all the services of a 4-star hotel. If you take advantage of specials, you can get a 1-bedroom SUITE for that price or less.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,537 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

15,000 baht a day, wow - we don't even spend that for a family of 4, so you could live very well on that much, but will probably spend considerably less on a day to day basis, even with massages, shopping etc thrown in.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

Mark

As you are celebrating two 50th birthdays and your 25th wedding anniversary, I would suggest that in Bangkok you spend 2 nights at The Oriental. It ain't cheap, but you can economise on the rest of the trip. That way you will live in the lap of luxury for 2 days, which in themselves will be utterly unforgettable, and if you tell them in advance, they may do something special for you.

There, that's 2 days sorted out, now you only have to think about the other 16!!

Alan

Melbourne
Level Contributor
293 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

We are planning five days in Bangkok, and five days in Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat as well as all the other wonders that region has to offer. You can travel by plane, taxi or bus between the cities. We've opted for taxi as it's quicker than the bus and much cheaper than flying, as were traveling with two children.

Your budget is huge and you will certainly live like royalty while you're there. I will be celebrating my fortieth in Bangkok. We've booked a loynava sunset (www.loynava.com) dinner cruise for something special.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,075 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

As noted above with your budget you will be able to live very well. Location wise I concur with emuplains, the Kanchanaburi area is a wonderful place to visit. The Erawan falls make for a pleasant hike while the Hellfire Pass and Death Railway are a 'must' if you are interested in history. Moreover, there are a number of Temples south of Kanchanaburi which are worth a visit. And, if you wish for something quieter you can head toward Thong Ph Phum and Sanghklaburi, the latter part of the journey is truly scenic.

Check out the Oriental Kwai Resort, just outside Kanchanaburi, it may appeal.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you have trouble deciding on where??????

Hi Mark

You don't "only have 18 days" - I think that after this first visit to SE Asia you'll be back many more times! With that in mind I would suggest that you don't spread yourselves too thin and concentrate on getting to know something of Thailand. A few days in Bangkok, the same in Chiang Mai, and then R&R at a beach would be my suggestion.

I agree with other posters that your budget is more than adequate.

Look forward to hearing about what you decide.

Happy travels!

Trisha