We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Hi - is 10,000 baht enough walk around cash for two weeks in bangkok? I'm excluding hotels....flights....excursions. I mean like food.....drinks.....nighlife......shopping....

We're not into high end restaurants.....

Thx!

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

nigel_guerin

It depends "where" you eat, drink and shop.

Nightlife may add considerably to your budget depending on where you go and what you do.

10,000thb may be enough if you are prudent for a week and extremely prudent for two weeks.

Did you say you were coming over for a holiday??

Then again the average worker at 7/11 will not earn that sum in one month.

Here is a quote from W. Somerser Maugham

"Money is like a sixth sense - and you can't make use of the other five without it"

Happy saving

Giorgio Federico

Sydney
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

I would say that you would have a better time with 3 or 4 times that amount

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

Hi

I hope you have breakfast included with your accomodation. 10,000 baht for 2 weeks is does not allowed much room to move at all what about unforeseen situations do you have funds hidden some where( debit, credit card/s). IMHO is big NO is not enough and as above poster says you are on holiday.

Have a great trip.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Oh ...didn't see that part of " we" . Im sorry no way 10,000 for two weeks for two.

I

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

In one word...No.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

A beer in a bar can vary from happy hour prices of around 80-100 baht...Average say 120 baht a drink x 2 x 3/4 drinks per night and you get an idea of what you might be up for..night clubs double that!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

thx everyone - message received loud and clear!

appreciate it!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

I will be there for two weeks with my wife. We will take 30,000 baht and around $500 american. We have credit cards for available emergencies, but we want to avoid.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money

Nigel you say you're taking 30,000 Baht WITH you?

I can only assume you're exchanging the money in Canada.... Don't bother as it is not likely any bank will give you a competitive exchange rate in your home country compared to exchanging the money when you get to Thailand.

Check out the exchange rates here:

kasikornbank.com/EN/…ForeignExchange.aspx

Also, when you exchange your money, make sure you have plenty of smaller bills, such as 50 and 100 Baht notes. Many taxi drivers (and others) will pretend not to have change for large notes. For convenience, have your 1000 Baht notes but use these at supermarkets or 7/11's or large restaurants.

As a single traveller, I could probably last on 10,000THB walk-around cash in BKK but I would have to be VERY frugal, and also bearing in mind that I tend to eat at street stalls. If you start eating at restaurants, then 30,000 is more like it, and even then for 2 people for 2 weeks you might have to watch it a bit.

A couple of good value restaurants for you (though of course there are thousands, but I've been to these two and found them pleasant!) are on Soi Ngam Duphli (off Rama 4 Road) in the Sathorn district. One is called Vincent's Restaurant & the 7 Rooms, and it is on your right, about 300m down as you walk from Rama 4 Road. There is another, about 150m down on your left, but I forget the name.

Enjoy BKK and don't be too overwhelmed!

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money

1 USD=31 THB, therefore 10,000 THB is only $322.00, or at most you'd have to limit yourself to only $23 a day! Not nearly enough.