We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

Hi everyone. My girlfriend and i will be spending a week in Bangkok next week. We understand that the sex industry is a major attraction in the city but don't really wish to be hit on the head with it. Is it fairly easy to avoid if we stay away from the main girl bar streets? And is there much on Khao San Rd?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks Heaps

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,320 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

Hi,

It's incredibly easy to avoid, you just don't go to the few streets in Bangkok that are famous for it, just as you can avoid King Street for example. Couldn't be simpler, but do watch out for the ladyboys on Rambutri. ;-)

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

Terrific. Thanks heaps for your answer!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

If you stay in the Sukhumwit or Silom areas you will not be able to avoid it. In Sukhumvit there are two two main bar areas. You could be propositioned on the street to see a "sexy show" or at soi 5 you will see many girls trying to catch your eye. If there are two of you together there should not be a problem as the girls are looking for single men. Other than this you would have to venture off the main street to Soi Cowboy which is parallel to Suk and 50 metres down the road to come in touch with the go go bars. Also Nana plaza on soi 4 can be avoided if you do not walk the 40 metres down the soi. I advise to stay further up Sukhumvit, maybe soi 33 upwards.

At Silom the main area is Patpong and there are many touts offering their wares, sexy cd's etc. Patpong has 2 streets that are full of bars/gogos and they can be avoided by not venturing down.

Khao san is the best bet; there is no noticable sex trade on Khao san except in the late evening; if you know where to look you will find it.

To sum up if you know where to avoid you will not come across it. but I am sure you will stumble upon it by mistake at some point.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

Easy to avoid. We didn't see anything until we chose to visit lower Sukhumvit at night. Enjoy your time.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

There's loads of people visit as a family so if you avoid certain areas you won't have a probelm, there's only a minority of people go to Bangkok for that sort of tourism.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

Pretty much everywhere but it's of no consequence if u are not looking for it. :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

"If you stay in the Sukhumwit or Silom areas you will not be able to avoid it."

"Pretty much everywhere"

Two statement I strongly disagree with. You'd need to be looking for it in most cases, and the "pretty much everywhere" is plainly absurd as such places make up about 0.01% of businesses in the city.

Both Sukhumvit and Silom have areas off the road where its evident, but its very much a tiny part of the city, despite what the western press tell you.I think its more blatant in some parts of Sydney than in Bangkok.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,318 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

If you do come across this, and you no doubt will, simply don't let it worry you. Just go about your business and all will be well. It's not really a problem unless you actually enter one of the establishments which obviously cater for tourists looking for that sort of thing.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

Strongly disagree its there if u open your eyes, less obvious in areas other than the Suk/Silom but never the less it's there.

Like I said wont be a problem because it's just another fascinating aspect of daily life here.

Edited: 22 February 2012, 10:59
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,709 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the sex industry avoidable in Bangkok?

Sukhumvit is heavier on the sex sales. With all the tables selling marital aides and "sexy videos" and the choruses of "What you want?" "Where you go?"" Massage sir?", I find little attraction. But, maybe it's just the stretch from Bumrungrad's shuttle stop, to Terminal 21, a notorious stretch at lunchtime!

Silom is a business district, during the day. In the evening, some areas cater to the sex tourist, but not all.

There are stretches of Ratchadapisek that cater to the trade.

But, all said, just like King's Cross, it is all easily avoided - if you know where it is. Otherwise, most people will point you right to it!

During my month stay in Sydney, I was never once solicited, something that happens often, when I head to Sukhumvit, anytime, or Silom at night.

Do leprechauns solicit their own countrymen around tourist haunts? Might be a perspective thing ....