We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

Hi we just returned yesterday from Bangkok to UK and were on an EVA flight . ( We had never travelled to Asia before) I was very surprised when we were all sprayed with pesticide/insecticide whilst sitting on the plane. I have an allergy induced asthma and now am feeling pretty ill. I have been to doctors and they think it is probably related to the spray.

I did cover my face with my scarf when they sprayed.... has anyone else had a bad experience with this....?

is this common on all flights back from Bangkok?

and I really just wanted to warn people for future trips - in case they too are sensitive to that sort of thing. Mu husband is fine - its just i react badly to that sort of thing...

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

I've been many times over the past 10 years - never heard of anything like this.

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

I know - we know lots of people who have travelled to Bangkok - and no one has ever mentioned it to me --- even given that they know about my strange allergic reactions-

I have looked it up on the internet and apparently it's to kill off any insect borne diseases... The spraying of pesticide whilst passengers are on the plane is not without controversy.... some airlines spray before passengers board... I couldn't believe that they announced the spray then got on with spraying it over our heads- without a chance to get off or avoid it - I would have been very worried for babies and small children ......

Edited: 21 March 2012, 13:33
London, United...
Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

We've had the spray outbound from Bangkok to heathrow many times, the cabin crew walk the isles spraying in the direction of the overhead lockers, I don't have a reaction to it . Don't know if this is required by any regulations, and not had it on every flight. Perhaps GOPBI would know if it's supposed to be done flying to certain countries?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

I have had this on many planes, usually from Asia but have never had a problem with it.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

We have been sprayed on the flight from Thailand before we land in Perth every flight. I can't seem to remember if we have had spray on the flight from Singapore and Malaysia

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,528 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

Hi,

I have experienced this on direct flights returning to the UK from Thailand, but not on indirect flights via the middle east, so perhaps you should look at doing that next time if you react badly to the spray

Cheers

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

I have experienced spraying on many flights within Africa and once on a flight between Bkk and Siem Reap. As I have a health issue with this I carry always surgical face masks. Before they spray I put the mask on. This avoids a problem for me from the spray.

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

Thanks - good advice - on not going directly. and next time I will definitely take my own mask... seems I must be unusual in having an allergic reaction... asthmatics ought to be aware of the possibility of spraying on board.

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

Cabin crew also sprayed on our return flight from Bangkok to Heathrow.

What struck me was that quite a few people were either engrossed in a film or even asleep when it happened.

I saw it coming but didn't have anything like a scarf, so I just used a fold of the blanket provided for the flight, put it over my face, gave it five minutes and I was fine.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pesticide spray on flights - Bad reaction ?

it has happened to me on every flight i have taken from BKK > europe you can find more infomation here:

http://www.allergyuk.org/art_aircraft.aspx

the last 2 flights have been EVA and there was a annoucement before they started spraying both times.