We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok - Best area to stay

london
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok - Best area to stay

Hi everyone,

Travelling to BKK end of April. Need advice as to what would be the best area to stay during our 6 days there.

We'll be spending most of the days doing sightseeing so any recommendation on this subject are also very welcome!

And the hotel: anything between 3-4 stars that has great breakfast!

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok - Best area to stay

The Riverside Area is the best area to stay in Bangkok.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok - Best area to stay

Hi,

Best if course subjective.. That said, I'm a fan of the Pathum Wan area.. Which is generally speaking the areas around the Siam Square/Siam Paragon complexes and radiate out a bit from there.

I like it as you are basically at ground zero for shopping and also at the BTS' (skytrain) only connection point where the two lines intersect.. So you have direct access to the entire BTS system... and from the BTS system there are direct connection points to the subway system and even the airport rain line.

However, to fair, the city is big.. as such there really is no one 'best' area.. Where ever you stay will put you close to or within walking distance of A, B and C, but also farther out from X, Y and Z.. so wherever you stay will be somewhat like that..

I preference the Pathum Wan area for the shopping/dining and transportation access.. but again, several other areas could or would also fit that bill to a degree.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 21 March 2012, 23:26
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,069 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok - Best area to stay

I copied and pasted the title of you post into the above "search" facility:

http://tinyurl.com/7cd9m56

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok - Best area to stay

Silom, Sukhumvit or Chong Non si, like always.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,303 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok - Best area to stay

The best areas are outside the city center but the most convenient (depending on what you care to see/do) are Sukhumvit, Silom and by the River since they are served with either the Skytrain, Underground or Riverboat which help no end in getting around the city.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok - Best area to stay

Sukhumvit or silom would be my suggestion, but the important thing is to be near BTS station if possible as this opens up very easy access to most places you are likely to want to visit and it is a much quicker way of getting around than sitting in snarled up traffic.

If you go onto www.agoda.com you can search hotels by area map so can see where they are in relation to the BTS. Running the cursor over them gives a brief overview of price and star rating. Once you have narrowed down to a few hotels then search them on other sites including the Hotels own site to get a better picture of facilities rooms etc and reviews and to compare prices then just make your choice. If you narrow it down to 2 or 3 maybe asking advice here before final decision.

Hope that helps

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok - Best area to stay

Suk is one of the better areas for convenience and quite central to everything. :)

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok - Best area to stay

Sukhumvit for BTS and convenience of travel.

Silom for more upscale surroundings.

Riverside because it is scenic and great for sightseeing..

Happy browsing

Giorgio Federico

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok - Best area to stay

We like the riverside but Sukhumvit and silom are the other 2 areas that are popular with tourists.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok - Best area to stay

I always stay at Montien on Surawongse Road although I did spend a week at The Rex in Sukhumvit Cheaper But still clean & close to Skyrail

Edited: 24 January 2013, 22:20