We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we visit the Tigers????

Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Do we visit the Tigers????

Hi there,

My husband and I have just booked a 9 day trip to Thailand In May 2012, staying 4 nights in Bangkok and 4 nights in Chang Mai. My apprehension is whether to visit a Tiger temple/sanctuary. Are the Tigers drugged? Do they appear happy? I am concerned about the welfare of the animal. If I decide to, where should I visit the Tigers in Bangkok or Chang Mai?

Appreciate your advice.

Thank you

Sydney
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we visit the Tigers????

Search the reviews for the temples on here. I have just got in Bangkok and it was far from a high a highlight of the trip.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we visit the Tigers????

The tiger temple is a controversial subject. Some visitors believe that the tigers are not drugged while others believe that they are drugged.

Some say it's the highlight of their trip while others (like Andrew M) say it was far from the highlight of their trip.

Does that help? lol

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,982 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we visit the Tigers????

There is some contraversy with regards to the Tiger Temple in Kanchanburi. If you google information about the temple you should get a wealth of info regarding it.

I myself have visited the temple, havng heard about it from a tourist brochure in Thailand and not aware of those issues.

I booked a driver to go to Kanchanburi to take photos of the River Kwai bridge. The Tiger temple was a side trip since it was nearby. As a walk in visitor I had to pay 600B entrance fee. It costs more if I wanted to be photographed by the tigers.

The park itself was hot, with little or no shade. Its quite a walk along dusty roads, and can get very hot and dusty. It looks like a work in progress construction site. I was hoping to see a thai temple with tigers roaming around its grounds. This is not the case. It looks like a underconstruction zoo / tiger safari which does not have the funds to complete the works.

The tigers look "sleepy" and disinterested (but them most cats look that way), and those that interact with humans are secured by chains which are held on to by either monks or volunteers.

I feel the operation very commercialized, and its more like a tiger petting zoo.

You can choose to go and experience it yourself, or you may conclude that you do not want to contribute to this operation.

Either way I think a trip to Kanchanburi is interesting and you should visit the River Kwai bridge and its surroundings.

My opinion? I have never touched a tiger, nor sat with one next to me like a pet cat. So its something this place has let me experience. However, I did not feel very happy paying the fees they are asking for as I also have doubts on their operations are purely for intrinsic reasons (rescuing tigers).

Edited: 23 March 2012, 04:50
Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we visit the Tigers????

If you are not familiar with with cats' behaviour and what all cats, big and small, do after a meal, then you probably will join the "drugged" chorus. Watch the cats in your zoo at home. What do they do after a meal? They doze in a corner. Cats in the wild do the same.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we visit the Tigers????

'Playing' with tIgers has Inherent risks... They are not toys or domestic animals.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we visit the Tigers????

Personally I refuse to go, I'm an animal lover and from what I have heard it isn't for me. A close friend went last year and told me she was a bit upset by the whole thing and stated she wouldn't go back. In saying plenty go and enjoy. Comes down to a decision you have to make.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,710 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we visit the Tigers????

If you have any doubts one way or the other and really do not have a passionate desire to visit "the Tigers" with only 9 days there are many more wondeful things to do and see in the areas you are visiting. 1 day to potentially make your holiday, 1 day potentially to ruin it. Your risk or forget it and avoid the risk. Your choice.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
293 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we visit the Tigers????

I desperately wanted to as an animal lover. I didnt need to look very far to find enough information to know that in all good conscience I couldn't visit the place.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,902 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we visit the Tigers????

As an ex animal keeper myself I find bbtony's post 5 above succinct.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 08:57
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we visit the Tigers????

True AA. I know bbtony's been saying it for a while but it truly is only a matter of time before we see video or photos of a tourist being mauled there.

A) life is a numbers game

B) try as they might, you can never ever remove the natural instincts from of a wild animal.