We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What ATM's from the UK are people using?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
734 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
What ATM's from the UK are people using?

Hi Guys

We are traveling in August (not our first visit to Thailand).

Usually we take cash, £50 notes and get these changed as we go along & a nationwide ATM just incase we run short. Where possible I pay on credit card. My questions are:

1. What debit card/acouunt type/bank are people using from the UK?

2. What is the maximum you can widthdraw from a ATM in BKK? Our debit card has a £250 or £300 limit (i think), but I'm guessing the ATM will also have a maximum you can take out in a single transaction? Was thinking to widthdraw the max amount of the fixed charged a spread across a larger base.

We prefer to take less cash and widthdraw from the ATM, but want to see how much the charges etc will cost and make sure we have the most efficient debit card for widthdrawing cash.

Thanks

Dr J

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What ATM's from the UK are people using?

2. The local limit varies between banks but its usually quite a bit higher than your UK bank limit - but will still apply here. 300GBP is about (I think) 14,000 baht.

What ever your bank charges (and it should be shown on their website) there is also here a 50 baht charge per transaction by foreign cards.

Travellers Cheques are a good and safe way to bring your money (in GBP). You get a slightly better rate of exchange while each cheque (irrespective of its face value) costs 33 baht to change.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

Edited: 27 March 2012, 16:58
London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What ATM's from the UK are people using?

DrJonesss,

With regard to the £50 note, I would advise to make sure these are unmarked and in good condition. I had one refused in a bank because it had some ink scribbles on it. However, I tried another exchange booth and they changed it.

Happy holidays

Giorgio Federico

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What ATM's from the UK are people using?

" there is also here a 50 baht charge per transaction by foreign cards."

I miss typed - the charge is 150 baht, NOT 50 baht.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What ATM's from the UK are people using?

yes, make sure even £20- notes are unmarked too! i managed to get12000bht out of atm,s at any one time

i used any machine that was around ,machines inside banks are the safest to use, no scam risk

trav cheques are good,&risk free get them from a post office not a bank------

when u change them in thailand u need your p/port

Edited: 27 March 2012, 17:36
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,096 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What ATM's from the UK are people using?

Have a look at this link from MoneySaving Expert.com to see the overseas fees for varios credit and debit cards moneysavingexpert.com/travel/…

Even tough my Nationwide FlexAccount card has a £300 daily limit and the ATM shows a 15000 baht withdrwal I've never been able to draw that. So if you want as much as your own bank's daily limit if it is £300 you will have to choose "Other Amount" and try 14000 baht (as bbtony suggests) which is about £285 at the moment.

The Halifax Clarity CREDIT Card is a good card for drawing cash as although you will be chared interest from Day 1 there is a good rate of exchange and no charges and works out very cost effective so long as you pay off the outstanding balance by the due date,

Edited: 27 March 2012, 20:57
UK
Level Contributor
885 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What ATM's from the UK are people using?

Hi Dr J

I don't like to carry lots of cash, I always get concerned about loss. So I, like you use credit cards-take the hit when I get home and for cash I try and use AEON ATMs. BB Tony advised recently that on their website they list locations. Being stingy I resent the 150 Baht charge on top of the UK charges from the ATMs - but AEON do NOT charge the 150 Baht.

A handy one for tourists is on the second floor at MBK toward the Hotel end of the Mall. They are grey and can be hard to spot. For changing cash Superich seem to make good rates, There is a branch over the road from Centralworld or it is 10 minutes walk from Pantip. Neither worth a special trip but if you are in the area save some money for a beer

7. Re: What ATM's from the UK are people using?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 March 2012, 22:52
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What ATM's from the UK are people using?

To avoid the 150 baht ATM charge, just go into the bank, with your passport, and present your card at one of the desks, not at the counter. A bank employee will then get your money from your account without any charge, and you get to sit down in air conditioning for a short while.

Alan

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What ATM's from the UK are people using?

@alan

Could you please point me to a specific bank where you have done this. I have tried it at several Bangkok banks and all have sent me to the ATM.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What ATM's from the UK are people using?

OctoberSix

Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, TMB bank, Ayudhya Bank, and a couple of others I can't remember at the moment. I have been refused a couple of times, but that, I believe, has been a problem more with communication than banking procedure. I think that the only reason that they want you to use the ATM, apart from the revenue they get, is laziness on the banks' employees' part.

I refuse to pay the ridiculous 150 baht fee, so I have used this method many times!

Hope this helps.

Alan